• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parent passed, question about step dad bigamy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parent passed, question about step dad bigamy

Hi,
    I lost my parent last year and have since had a problem with my step dad.
    He is using the Intestacy Act to entitle himself to my parents estate.
    It has since come to light that it is possible he may have not canceled a previous marriage. Is the marriage to my parent null and void after death in the event of bigamy?
    Thanks
    Tags: None

I would say yes.

Comment

A void marriage is one that will be treated by the court as never having taken place.

The grounds on which a marriage will be void are set out in section 11 of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973, (MCA 1973).
      https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1973/18/section/11

"A marriage celebrated after 31 July 1971 shall be void on the following grounds only, that is to say— if :
      (a)...................................
      (b) that at the time of the marriage either party was already lawfully married or a civil partner"

That doesn't mean he won't have a claim to your mother's estate under the Inheritance (provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975

Comment

Only a court can declare a marriage bigamous, most commonly following the conviction of the offending spouse.

So a word of caution...

If you are to challenge your stepfather's claim to the estate on these grounds you will be accusing him of a criminal offence, so be prepared to have some evidence to back you up. I suggest you take your suspicions to the police but be prepared to badger them for a response as (I'm sorry to say) this may not feature very high on their list of priorities.

Comment

Is his first wife still alive?
          He might not be convicted of bigamy if he had no knowledge of the whereabouts and wellbeing of his first wife for 7 years when he contracted his second marriage
          Has your step father obtained or applied for letters of administration?
          If so, and if you have solid proof of that he married bigamously, you just might be able to have the grant of letters of administration stopped or revoked on the basis he is unsuitable to act as personal representative.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X