• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

contentious will - need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contentious will - need help

Hi, I would appreciate it if someone could review my post and let me know if I have a valid case to block a grant of probate.

After having a series of strokes over the past 5 years, my father passed away about 11 months ago. Following the death of my father, the eldest sibling produced a hand written will that he had prepared himself, and had it witnessed by 2 of his friends. None of my other siblings were made aware that a will was being written, or invited to witness it. I need to identify if I have a case to try and block my brother from being the executor of the estate.
    My concerns are:
    1-The will was created by the person claiming to be the executor of the will.
    2-My eldest brother had a criminal record in his past. Can people with criminal records be executors of an estate?
    3-My father was a severe stroke patient and was mentally impaired. I believe the will preparation should have been conducted in the presence of a solicitor and a doctor. I am assuming that a doctor and solicitor would have signed the will as witnesses. This did not happen.
    4-The will was witnessed by personal friends of my brother, who were not personal friends of my father. The will should have been witnessed, at the very least by 2 siblings, if not all siblings.
    5-Siblings were not informed that the will was being created.
    6-My eldest brother has not been transparent on the assets in my father's estate.
    7-Before my father passed away, his residential home was sold without informing all siblings. This was odd as I had made an agreement with my father to buy his home at full market value if he decided to sell it. The house was sold below market value by one of the witnesses who signed the will. I thought this was highly suspicious.
    8-My eldest brother has not declared the whereabouts of my father's home contents after the property was sold, i.e. no inventory has been presented. There is no record of the property contents or if they were sold.
    9-My eldest brother has not declared the contents of my father's bank accounts. Again, no transparency of the facts.
    10- A substantial amount of gold jewellery, which has been verbally claimed by my eldest brother and his wife, without any consultation with all other siblings. I believe this gold and jewellery needs to be identified, valued and incorporated into the estate.

Looking at these facts, do I have a case to try and block my eldest brother from becoming the self-proclaimed executor of the estate? I think the estate needs to be treated as if there is no will and divided equally between 5 siblings by a third party.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Originally posted by AA1969 View Post
    Hi, I would appreciate it if someone could review my post and let me know if I have a valid case to block a grant of probate.

After having a series of strokes over the past 5 years, my father passed away about 11 months ago. Following the death of my father, the eldest sibling produced a hand written will that he had prepared himself, and had it witnessed by 2 of his friends. None of my other siblings were made aware that a will was being written, or invited to witness it. I need to identify if I have a case to try and block my brother from being the executor of the estate.
    My concerns are:
    1-The will was created by the person claiming to be the executor of the will. The will being drafted by the executor is not in itself a problem.
    2-My eldest brother had a criminal record in his past. Can people with criminal records be executors of an estate? Yes, but if convicted of a crime and sent to prison after becoming executor they will be disqualified
    3-My father was a severe stroke patient and was mentally impaired. I believe the will preparation should have been conducted in the presence of a solicitor and a doctor. I am assuming that a doctor and solicitor would have signed the will as witnesses. This did not happen. A person who is mentally impaired does not necessarily lack capacity. If you wish to challenge the validity of the will in this respect you would need to prove incapacity
    4-The will was witnessed by personal friends of my brother, who were not personal friends of my father. The will should have been witnessed, at the very least by 2 siblings, if not all siblings. If your siblings had witnessed the will they could not have been beneficiaries
    5-Siblings were not informed that the will was being created.No legal reason why they should have been informed as it is a document private to the testator
    6-My eldest brother has not been transparent on the assets in my father's estate.
    7-Before my father passed away, his residential home was sold without informing all siblings. This was odd as I had made an agreement with my father to buy his home at full market value if he decided to sell it. The house was sold below market value by one of the witnesses who signed the will. I thought this was highly suspicious. How did a third party sell your father's house? Only the owner can sell it. Was the conveyancing carried out by a solicitor?
    8-My eldest brother has not declared the whereabouts of my father's home contents after the property was sold, i.e. no inventory has been presented. There is no record of the property contents or if they were sold.
    9-My eldest brother has not declared the contents of my father's bank accounts. Again, no transparency of the facts.
    10- A substantial amount of gold jewellery, which has been verbally claimed by my eldest brother and his wife, without any consultation with all other siblings. I believe this gold and jewellery needs to be identified, valued and incorporated into the estate.

Looking at these facts, do I have a case to try and block my eldest brother from becoming the self-proclaimed executor of the estate? I think the estate needs to be treated as if there is no will and divided equally between 5 siblings by a third party.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
    Has your brother obtained a grant of probate?
    Have you a copy of the will?

Comment

Hi DES8, Thanks for your feedback.

As my eldest brother drafted the will, and claimed to be the executor, can he also be a beneficiary of the will? If the will is not prepared in the presence of a solicitor, how can i validate that my brother is the executor? My father never said who would be the executor of his estate when he was alive.

With regards to the sale of my father's property, the sale was managed by one of the witnesses who is an estate agent. The property was sold below market value. I was concerned about this as I had earlier offered to buy the property at full market value. I am not privy to the facts of the sale.

My eldest brother has applied for grant of probate, which is waiting to be processed. Yes, I do have a copy of the will.

Any thoughts on what I should do now?

Kind Regards

Comment

Does the will not appoint your brother as executor?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X