• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Clause left out of Will by mistake?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clause left out of Will by mistake?

I would be grateful for any advice please.

A family member made a Will which was then revoked by a further Will made shortly before death. The old Will was used for notes with various crossing out of beneficiaries they no longer wished to include.

However one beneficiary has not been included even though they were not crossed out, which indicates there was an oversight or a mistake by the person drafting the Will. There doesn't seem to be a reason why that person would be left out and on the face of it the Will is otherwise valid.

What are the options with regard to the beneficiary who has missed out?

Thank you
    Tags: None

Was the will drafted by a solicitor?
    If so he may be able to have the will rectified.
    Section 20 of the Administration of Justice Act 1982 provides: 1) If a Court is satisfied that a will is so expressed that it fails to carry out the testator’s intentions, in consequence: a) of a clerical error; or b) of a failure to understand his instructions it may order that the will shall be rectified so as to carry out his instructions.

Are all other beneficiaries aware of the omission?
    Would all who would be affected by the inclusion of this additional beneficiary be prepared to agree to vary the will?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Was the will drafted by a solicitor?
      If so he may be able to have the will rectified.
      Section 20 of the Administration of Justice Act 1982 provides: 1) If a Court is satisfied that a will is so expressed that it fails to carry out the testator’s intentions, in consequence: a) of a clerical error; or b) of a failure to understand his instructions it may order that the will shall be rectified so as to carry out his instructions.

Are all other beneficiaries aware of the omission?
      Would all who would be affected by the inclusion of this additional beneficiary be prepared to agree to vary the will?
      Thank you DES8.

The will i understand was drafted by a retired solicitor.

I am unsure if any other beneficiaries are aware or whether the executors would support any amendment. I assume you are thinking about a deed of variation which i did research but do not completely understand the process.

Does the amendment sit with the executors to arrange?

Thank you

Comment

The beneficiaries are responsible for arranging the variation but the executor responsible for dealing with it as part of the will.
        Obviously the executor must be told about the variation and he could oversee obtaining all beneficiaries' agreements.

Comment

The beneficiaries are responsible for arranging the variation but the executor responsible for dealing with it as part of the will.
          Obviously the executor must be told about the variation and he could oversee obtaining all beneficiaries' agreements.
          Very interesting DES8 I appreciate your input. Some of the beneficiaries are charities so in my opinion unlikely to agree. So I guess providing the Will writer accepts the oversight/mistake then s20 is the option. Thank you

Comment

The charities would have to refuse
            The Trustees are bound by the overarching principle that any decision they make must be made in the best interests of the charity.

Comment

The charities would have to refuse
              The Trustees are bound by the overarching principle that any decision they make must be made in the best interests of the charity.
              I see. So the s20 seems appropriate although I guess the charities may also not be happy with this as it will slightly reduce their legacy.
              Would there be any point do you think, if this does not go straight forward, of claiming against the will writer? if he has indemnity insurance or the like.
              Thanks for the advice.

Comment

To proceed successfully against the will writer the would be beneficiary would need to show the will writer acted negligently and breached his duty of care
                I cannot say whether or not there is sufficient evidence

Have a Google "professional negligence will writer beneficiary claim"

Comment

To proceed successfully against the will writer the would be beneficiary would need to show the will writer acted negligently and breached his duty of care
                  I cannot say whether or not there is sufficient evidence

Have a Google "professional negligence will writer beneficiary claim"
                  Thank you DES8 this is very helpful

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X