• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Does credit card debt die with the person?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does credit card debt die with the person?

Hello All - I hope everyone is keeping well
    My friend's mum has died, in her 80s, but she had a lot of debts (run up by her late husband) to Cabot Financial and Barclaycard and few others, which she was paying via a debt management plan, so much a month. Her entire estate is very little, amounts to circa £3k or so, as she rented and had no investments. Cabot have written to the deceased saying they have been informed the debt management company are no longer acting on her behalf. My friend is going to write to the creditors saying her mum has died and include a copy of death certificate. Should this be the end of the matter? My friend is worried the creditors could make demands that would require her to engage a solicitor, which she cannot afford. Thank you in advance for any guidance.
    Tags: None

They can only claim for what is available after the funeral expenses have been paid. They cannot claim from anyone else.

Comment

She must take care to ascertain all the outstanding debts before attempting to pay any.

There is a strict order in which estate expenses and debts are paid

Te first priority is the funeral cost and then the costs involved in settling the estate (so she should keep a record of all postage, costs of death certificates etc)
      That £3000 won't go far .
      If there is anything over the creditors will only receive proportional payment and your friend will not be liable for the balances

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
        They can only claim for what is available after the funeral expenses have been paid. They cannot claim from anyone else.
        Thank you, much appreciate your response

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          She must take care to ascertain all the outstanding debts before attempting to pay any.

There is a strict order in which estate expenses and debts are paid

Te first priority is the funeral cost and then the costs involved in settling the estate (so she should keep a record of all postage, costs of death certificates etc)
          That £3000 won't go far .
          If there is anything over the creditors will only receive proportional payment and your friend will not be liable for the balances
          Thank you so much, Des8, very helpful. I will pass on this info to her. Much appreciate you taking the time.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X