• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Conflict of Interest? Advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflict of Interest? Advice please

Conflict of interest? Any advice much appreciated.

My mother passed recently and we were told by her, that her property would pass to her children after her new husband (step father) passed - or chose to leave ( a life interest trust).

It turns out that in fact the will did not leave a life interest trust even though that is what my mother told us, and step father agreed.
    It did in fact leave everything to him (very dubious as we believe he was responsible for its preparation - but can do nothing about it).
    t was left down to his honesty that he would leave the property to us which of course he is now not agreeing to.

The solicitor who drafted and executed the will is now acting for said step father and rather than protecting our interests and ensuring the estate is distributed as per her wishes, is proceeding to invalidate the will and ensure that we are cut off. My sibling is in the process of trying to claim under the inheritance act for what we believed we had been left in the will.
    I cannot claim this way due to my income and assets.

I am looking to sue the solicitor independently for negligence in regard to the drafting, and execution of the will.
    My question is :

Was there a conflict of interest, where the solicitor had a duty to ensure all parties received their entitlement, but they have chosen to act for my step father to ensure the opposite.

More importantly - if I choose to sue them for negligence in the Will drafting, would there be a conflict of interest with them still acting for my step father and protecting themselves? am not sure they could act in my step father's best interests if we were suing for our share of the estate which is lost, yet they had to advise him accordingly during my sister's inheritance act claim.

Would there be a conflict of interest with my sister's inheritance act claim and my negligence claim? Thanks for any help
    Tags: None

Sorry, no answers at the moment..just questions.

1) who is executor?
    2) why do you think the solicitor who drafted will did so negligently?
    3) do you have reason to believe the will was improperly executed (ie not signed by the testator in the presence of two witnesses who both acknowledge the signature. The witnesses must not be beneficiaries (or the spouse/civil partner of the beneficiary) to the will ) to the will )

I think you would have difficulty with a negligence claim as it is necessary for the claimant to prove the defendant had a duty of care to them, and I cannot see that the solicitor owed you a duty of care.

Comment

I'm confused. You say your mother's will actually left everything to your stepfather absolutely (ie no life interest to him reverting to you), but then you say your stepfather's solicitor is ignoring your interests and is seeking to invalidate your mother's will. It can't be both surely.

Do you simply mean that your mother left everything to your father on the informal understanding that his will would "look after" you and your siblings when he died? I'm afraid that if he reneges on that promise, there is nothing you can do if your mother's will left everything to him unconditionally.

What is the actual detail of what has happened?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X