• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Probate granted - How do I know what the inheritance amount is?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate granted - How do I know what the inheritance amount is?

Hi, new here and hoping for help. I recently received email saying grant of probate has been issued and is on its way to me by post, will this tell me if there is any tax to pay or do I need to look for the information elsewhere? Many thanks - I wish I had found this forum earlier, looks like a great resource, so thanks in advance to those who take the time to reply
    Tags: None

duplicate post

Comment

IHT should be sorted before applying for a grant of probate!

https://www.gov.uk/applying-for-prob...ly-for-probate

Comment

Thank you. As far as l remember l did it completely online after having property valued and bank account amounts unused allowance transferred from hr late husband entered etc. I seem to remember it being an estimated value of the estate.. I presumed this would then be checked by HMRC and sent a bill if there was anything to pay as part of the probate process.
        i dont remember after completing it anthing saying an amount and date to pay it ( which the link indicates) but equally l dont remember anything saying nil to pay.
        Should l follow it up with HMRC or somewhere else to make sure l just havent overlooked it and then fall foul by not paying anything outstanding in a timely manner?

Comment

If you believe you have over or undervalued the estate you can inform HMRC using form C4 https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ive-account-c4

Wait till you receive the grant, as you can then see what your estimates were and if they need amending following the realisation of the assets

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

I have double checked on some of the paperwork I retained and think I did everything correctly, the only part I am unsure of is the transferring of unused inheritance tax allowance from my late father who died in 1997 - I filled in a form online but cant find the copy.
              All his assets and share of the property he and my mum owned passed to her.

Am I right in thinking the total allowance for them jointly would be £650,000 ( £325,000 each) plus £125,000 as part of her estate is a property ?

If so, then there will be no IHT to pay if the total estate is way less than £775,000.

Thanks again.

Comment

You sound correct to me, but if you are in doubt contact HMRC at their
                *online support <hmrcsupport@tax.service.gov.uk.

Quote your reference numbers and they'll let you know.
                I found them very helpful

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X