• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Powers and usability of being the executor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powers and usability of being the executor

Can the 'executor' of someone deceased, NOT disclose the true wishes of the deceased to other members of the family to prevent them getting their rightful inheritance? e.g. My sister is my wealthy aunts executor. As executor, is it possible that she can prevent disclosure of my Aunts true wishes regarding the will and inheritances so keeping the entire estate to herself? The will will not be read by a solicitor (as the executor says it will save the cost!!).
    Tags: None

If the estate is that large then eventually, as part of the process, the will will be lodged with the registrar (?) and you can request a copy

Comment

Reading between the lines, I understand you do not trust your sister.

Do you know if your aunt owned any real property (land/houses) and/or stocks and shares?
      If she did the executor will need to obtain probate to deal with the estate.
      You say she was wealthy, so it could be banks or building societies will not release money from her accounts if your sister does not obtain a grant of probate.

If she obtains a grant of probate te will becomes a public document and a copy can be obtained here:*https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

Until a grant of probate is obtained the will remains a private document, and only the executor(s) have a right to read it.
      Beneficiaries can request a sight of the will, but the executor does not have to acquiesce.
      The only way round this would be to obtain a court order for the executor to obtain a grant of probate which you could then access

Comment

Thankyou for your rapid response, but no, it it is not that large, a House and a high six figure sum. Registrar??

Comment

I think probate will be required.* As said your sister will probably not be able to access bank accounts or sell the house without it

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X