• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Keys and rent to house(s) left in will not handed over

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keys and rent to house(s) left in will not handed over

My friend lost her dear father 2 years ago and had been left a house in the will. Her father had 4 properties 3 of which were rented out. My friends brother lived in one of these properties.

When the father died he left 1 property to my friend however the son challenged the will demanding all 3 of the rented properties. Furthermore the rent from these 3 properties, which was collected by the son, were supposed to be given to the mother who would use the income to pay off the mortgages of 3 of the properties - this was stated in the will. This never happened and the son has been pocketing this money for 2 years.

Mediation occurred 1 week ago and the will was virtually honoured with my friend given a house not left for her in the will (the Mother agreed to some changes). The son claims his partner lives in this house my friend was given and said she has signed a tenancy agreement - no agreement has so far been produced. The son is also refusing to give the keys or any tenancy agreements over saying he'll do it when ready

My friend has suffered enough and I do not want this to drag on for her but I fear this will go on and on with my friend now paying a mortgage on a house she has no keys or access too. I believe the son will keep his partner there and refuse to pay anything possibly claiming squatters rights. Whilst we wait for the keys I'm certain he is damaging this house out of spite - he has said as much.

My questions are:

What can my friend do to legally force the production of a tenancy agreement for the sons partner(which we know does not exist) and can she request evidence of the rent previously paid by this partner?

What can be done to get the keys for my friends property from the brother? My friend is a single mum and struggles to make ends meet and may not be able to afford a solicitor

Would it be possible to write up a tenancy agreement right now with my friend so I'll be living there from today - would this then give me automatic rights to obtaining these keys immediately as I will be homeless.

Is there anyway we can find out who this brother has rented rooms to in these 3 properties to over the past 2 years and or how much rent was collected which was supposed to be given to the mother as stated in the will. He provided no evidence of tenants or money collected at mediation merely saying not much rent was collected and that the little money he did he collect he used for repairs on the property.

I've never written anything like this so if I've made no sense or go on too long I apologise once again.

Sean.
    Tags: None

Hi Chev - just to say hello and reassure you that someone will take a look at this awful situation for you but as week ends are quiet you may not get much till tomorrow. Sorry not my area of law and a very complex situation all round with rental law clashing with inheritance. Take care
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Good morning

I'm afraid we need more information before any pointers can be given!
      1) What was the actual wording used in the will covering the bequests to your friend and her mother?
      2) what was the variation agreed to by the mother?
      3) did all beneficiaries affected by the variation agree?
      4)who was (were) the executor(s) (assuming at the moment that the son has acted as sole executor but were there others?)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X