• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

need help with probate (without will) to do with my father's passing away.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with probate (without will) to do with my father's passing away.

Last year I received a telephone call from the council asking me my identity. it turns out that it was my father who had passed away in a nursing home, and they found my name through the electoral registry. I was estranged from him, and so was not in much contact. They said they needed costs for his funeral and being his only son would I be willing to pay it.

I said I would if he had left any money I could reimburse the money, so then they went through a long process of getting i touch with his bank*. They later get on touch, and I find I need to fill in a probate form. The nursing home sent me his death certificate, but cannot find any will. So I had a look at the probate form which is for there not being a will This one:
    * https://assets.publishing.service.go...0/pa1a-eng.pdf

ALL I know his the information on his death certificate. I am finding the understanding of how to fill in this form stressful. Can anyone give me some easy to ingest advice how I might proceed with it. I believe when you just deal with the government in doing the probate the cost is about £200 odd. Solicitors fees are much more, and like I say, ALL I know is the information on his death certificate and that he died in the nursing home.*
    All advice very welcome...
    Tags: None

If your father left no will, you may need to obtain a grant of letters of administration.
    However if your fathers estate is small and doesn't include real property (eg house) stocks and shares you might not need the letters.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X