• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Where do I stand?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I stand?

Hi everyone, I'm after a bit of advice at what is best to do in this situation please...

My Grandad passed away on the 18th November, he has a Will which states that all items in the house must be sold and divided up between the beneficiaries. While he was alive he had told us that we would get certain things when the time came but his Will now says different (he probably did this to stop any arguing).

1. I understand that all the items now have to be sold but would I be able to buy back the ring I was promised from his estate or will they be able to take the value of it from any inheritance due? I'm not bothered about the value, it means more than the money to me.

2. I havent spoken to my sister in a long time and it is her that has declared herself his NoK so is dealing with the solicitor etc. The day he died I made sure all of his jewellry was secure in his bedroom and that his house alarm was set, I've since gone back to the house to find my sister has been in and started going through all of his belongings - packing things up in bags to throw out etc. I've looked everywhere in his house and cant find the jewelry anywhere, there are also a number of other valuables missing which she says she has took out of the house to 'keep them safe' - my sister is well known for lying, stealing and being out for just herself, to the point not 1 member of the family have anything to do with her anymore. What should I do about this? Is she allowed to be packing up his things and taking things out of his house?

We havent even had the funeral yet and I dont plan on attending it because of the sister - she cant be trusted not to cause some sort of scene, this is another thing she's well known for!

Other people have told me to trust her and believe that she has taken them for safekeeping but I've known her all my life, I wouldn't trust her with an empty crisp packet!

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Condolences on your loss, and sorry to hear about the problems.

Who is(are) the executor(s) named in the will?
    They are responsible for dealing with the estate.

Next of Kin has no legal meaning.
    The solicitor should be informed if she is not an executor.
    If she is not the executor and is removing chattels she could be accused of stealing

Stand up and tell her!
    Rather you than me.. good luck!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X