• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Understanding will clause

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding will clause

Hi, Im hoping someone can help me understand the following part of my late mothers will:
    my trustees shall hold the net proceeds....

(a) pay off debts (paraphrased),
    (b) upon trust absolutely for such of my son X and my son Y as shall survive me and attain the age of 18 years..... and attained a vested interest under this my will PROVIDED THAT if the trusts declared by this sub clause (b) shall fail entirely and subject thereto * * * * * *
    * (C) upon trust absolutely for such of my husband and my brother as shall survive me and in equal shares of more than one.

Im a compete novice at this and not in a position to appoint a solicitor, does this mean that the funds would be split four ways, or that it would go to the two sons unless both had died in which it would go to the husband and brother?

thank you in advance*
    Tags: None

des8
    Peridot

Any thoughts on this? A bit greek to me. I have a feeling that a scan of the actual page of the will so it is in context will be useful ( suitably redacted of names )
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi
      I read that as meaning the proceeds are in trust for the 2 sons until they attain the age of 18.
      If they die prior to reaching age 18 the proceeds are held in trust for husband and brother .

HOWEVER, the language of wills is archaic because every word (almost!) has been dissected in court and has specific meanings, so if Peridot doesn't put in an appearance I would recommend a visit to a solicitor.
      A fixed fee consultation, the cost of which will be met by the estate if you are the executor, should give you the professional guidance you need.
      Don't forget as executor, if you get it wrong, you could become liable for any errors.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X