• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Foreign Power of Attorney

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Power of Attorney

Hi All - I've been searching the internet to uncover some information relating to an issue that is probably very common - estranged family members contesting the validity of a PoA…Here's the twist, the PoA document was drafted in the USA, however it was executed in the UK by the Grantor, Notary public (Solicitor in this case) and independent witness.

I have been informed that the PoA is not valid in this country as it wasn't drafted here and should have been executed in the country it was drafted.

Obviously I disagree, but not being educated in the field of law and with such complexity in regards to jurisdiction I thought to post this and see where I may possibly stand.

Look forward to hearing any thoughts/information/relevant case law to assist me.

Thanks
    Tags: None

The general principle is that a Power of Attorney made in a foreign jurisdiction will normally be considered valid under English law if both of the following apply:
    1. It has a similar effect to a Power of Attorney made under English law.
    2. It is valid in the jurisdiction where the donor habitually lives.
    However it is usually necessary to have a foreign Power of Attorney validated for use in England and Wales. This involves applying to the Court of Protection for official confirmation that the Power of Attorney is considered valid under English law.

Comment

Thanks DES8, that makes sense.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X