• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Urgent advice needed partners death unlawful eviction changed locks stealing my stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent advice needed partners death unlawful eviction changed locks stealing my stuff

Long story, but please offer advice if you can this is really now effecting my health.

My partner died suddenly just over a year ago, leaving no will. We were together nearly three years and lived together for most of that period. Spending time between each others places. During our relationship, his mother-in-law passed away and he got the house back which she lived in. He and his late wife brought the house and allowed her parents to live there until they died. We realsied after his wife died the property was still in his late wives name only, and started to look into transfering it to his name and when she died he would of inherited it. Anyway we moved all my belongings into the house as it was unfurnished and spent time there and at my holiday place. He left two adult daughters who he has had nothing to do with for a long time, one of which is a drug addict. But I guess they will inherit his estate.

After he died myself and his sister sorted his funeral, got them to write to the bank to get the payment. I registered his death, and are named on the death certificate as I was there and tried to revive him. His family were fine with me until the last few months, I had his ashes as I collected them, I had been out of the country as I needed a break for my own sanity. Upon my return I contacted his sister to say we should start to deal with things, they don't want his daughters to get anything but I explained to them thats the law. They have ignored me since then, apart from bullying me to hand over his ashes saying his elderly Mum was very ill and needed closure. So I handed them over, I know what his wishes were but they won't do what he wanted but thats out of my hands. After he died I didn't stay in the house for a while as thats where he died. I had stayed there a while later several times and started to remove some of my property. About four weeks ago I went to get some more of my things and the locks had been changed without anyone informing me. I contacted his sister she simple replied sorry nothing to do with me! I asked who had done it and she said well not me. Since then his Nephew has contacted me telling me the solicitor changed the locks, and I can't get anything without out receipts. Some stuff I have had for years and hardly any receipts. I tried to reason with him and messaged back saying your mum knows pretty much everything in that house belongs to me, apart from uncles clothes tools and a few other bits. He then said yes I have been told you had a lot of stuff there. He said Im not allowed to enter the property, give him a list and receipts and he will get things too me. I asked several times for the solicitors details so I can contact them no answer. He claims he is liasion for dealing with things. Several days later he contacted me to say clearly I don't wamt my things and this weekend he is getting a skip and emptying the house. This is all my stuff personal irriplacable photos part of my late fathers ashes, brand new dryer, white goods clothes etc.
    I have done a standing search and nothing is coming up, so I take it knowone has letters of administration to deal with his estate, surely he shouldn't be going through the house to empty it! If anyone should deal with his estate his daughters should, but they have no idea of what their dad had. His pension companies wrote to me saying I maybe able to claim his pension, but to be honest my head hasn't been in a good place to deal with anything hence just trying to start to sort and move my things. What the hell can I do?? I can't afford a lawyer on a very low income and struggling to get by and his family know this. I talked to one he said I could take them to court for unlawful evection but have no money for this. I am concearned that his late wives sister has something to do with this shes a retired solicitor, at one point she got the next door neighbours to the property about four months ago to call me asking for the keys back. They have no legal right over the property and when her sister died it would of been his they were married. Sorry about bad grammer etc folks, I'm so stressed out I really don't know what to do. I don't drive, am a good distance from the property. Dr has put me and sleeping tablets and diazepam as this has stressed me out so much, I feel like I'm going to break down, I have no idea what to do. I'm about to lose everything I ever work for let alone having suffered the loss of the man and loved and was going to marry as we were engaged. Please help with advice if you can. I have been advised to make a claim on his estate as a dependant but i don't know what solicitor is dealing with it if any. Who would be able to get letters of admin to deal with his estate, I registered his death and have the death certificate obviously I had to send some off to companies but then everything was left I was advised to do nothing as it wasn't my place. Surely it isn't theirs either. Thanks in advance.

Just to add I have all his paper work, luckily I removed this. Passport driving licence. Why would I have these things if we weren't living together. I'm hoping that may have some saving grace?
    Tags: None

I am truly sorry for your loss. However, you should understand that your partner has died without making a will and therefor intestate law takes over. As far as you saying illegal eviction, unfortunately this does not apply. The solicitors have probably been appointed as administrators and they will distribute your partners estate within the laws of intestacy. You will need to prove that the items you refer to are indeed yours and this is why you have been asked to produce receipts as proof of ownership. I am truly sorry for you but under English and Welsh intestate law you are not entitled to anything. You mention that your partner had 2 daughters, they will inherit his estate.

Comment

If you want to make a claim under the Inheritance Act, there are solicitors who might act for you under a conditional fee arrangement (no win no fee).
      Have a Google for them.

Comment

The Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 allows certain people to make a claim for reasonable financial provision from a deceased person’s estate, but only if circumstances permit it. What those circumstances amount to varies from case to case. A cohabitee must satisfy a particular test in order to make a claim under the 1975 Act, which from what you have said you may qualify as a dependant of the deceased if you were maintained by the deceased in whole or in part, immediately before their death .
        What amounts to maintenance is infinitely variable. Minor maintenance will not be enough to satisfy the test and the deceased must have been making a substantial contribution in money (or money’s worth) towards the reasonable needs of the claimant. The deceased would typically have assumed a settled responsibility for the financial wellbeing of the claimant.

Comment

I would go and get your stuff back regardless.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X