• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheriting while you have debt advice please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheriting while you have debt advice please.

My spouse died last year. I haven't needed confirmation so far as being married the insurance and pension paid straight to me. The mortgage was in spouse's name only (no survivorship clause) and I I have paid the mortgage off using the insurance money what was left I paid their other debts, credit card insurance covered that debt. . The pension lump sum wasn't much and I used that along with my bereavement support allowance lump sum to pay the funeral bill. There's nothing much left and there's no monthly payment from the pension. All other matters relating to them are settled though.

Because the house was just in my spouse's name, apparently I now have to change the name on the title deeds and let the Land Register know as I will inherit. The problem is I am in debt (around 7k, unsecured). While I'm paying it off a little at a time, (I only work part time) the debt collection company is one of the ones with an aggressive reputation and I am worried that if they find out the house is coming to me they will force me to sell. Is there any way of protecting the property before I accept the inheritance? I would sign a deed of variation in my son's favour so it went straight to him if necessary.

Please dont think I'm trying to get out the debt. I'm not. I accept it's mine and am paying it as best I can but my health only allows me to work limited hours. I just couldn't bear to lose our home we worked so hard for. It's not even worth a lot of money but it's where all my memories are and I'm already not coping with the loss. Any advice would be appreciated, I'm worried sick on top of grieving.
    Last edited by pixiepup; 24th June 2019, 23:27:PM.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X