• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hassle over mum's estate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hassle over mum's estate

My mum died over 3years ago. In her will she left her estate to be shared equally between myself and my 3 siblings. One of my siblings is the executor of the will. They have refused to let me into mum's house, have sold off her furniture, art work, antiques etc., and until the last few weeks have not inform me about what is happening. Now they have informed me that apparently 3 valuations have been done on mum's house all of which seem very low. How can I check it the executor is being genuine?
    Tags: None

Hi Sue07,
    Sorry to hear of your issues with the mother's estate. It can be really tough and never easy when you aren't involved in the administration of the estate. Unfortunately it is the executor's responsibility to deal with the whole of the estate and distribute it once it has been collected in.

It can be difficult when maybe you would have liked a memento from the house for example which you can no longer have but it is the executors decision. It is of course always best to try and discuss these things and arrangements can be made if necessary but you can't demand it I'm afraid.

As far as the house is concerned it is usual to obtain 3 probate valuations from estate agents, if a chartered surveyor is not being used. The probate valuation is the likely value the house would have sold for had it happened the day your Mum died. It isn't necessarily the amount to market it at now if there is some time between death and putting the property on the market. Having said that it appears that house prices have stagnated and even dropped slightly in many areas in the last year or so. Have you checked zoopla or rightmove for similar property prices that have sold in the area and are of a similar condition?

If you remain concerned you are able to make an application to the Court for an inventory and account of the estate to be given although it is unlikely this would be provided until all the assets have been gathered in. Has the Grant been obtained yet?

It is always advisable to try and keep communication open between you although I appreciate it can be really difficult when emotions are running high. Maybe write to the executor if you find there is a big discrepancy in the prices of similar houses in the area that have sold and ask whether they think another estate agent should be considered. It is ultimately the executor's decision although they do have a duty to gather in the assets at their correct values so if there were any serious doubt about their conduct for example if they were selling the property to a friend at an undervalue then they can find themselves personally liable for any shortfall as well as potential tax ramifications.
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Thank you so much for replying.
      I took your advice and got in touch with my sibling.
      It is possible to make two separate houses from my mum's house(just by closing 1 door). My sibling informed me that they,and another of my siblings, want to keep one section of the house for themselves. The valuations have been done on the building as two separate houses. The older section, which is a grade two listed building, they want to keep. The valuations for this section, which is also bigger, are all much lower than the other section. My sibling says it's because when the dividing door is closed, the listed section does not have its own bathroom.
      I'm really not bothered about it but my husband and adult children keep telling me that I am letting my sibling ' walk all over me.'
      Should I question my siblings motives of trust them to be honest?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X