• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills

I a new to this forum but here goes.

my mother died recently leaving a will that named my sister and I as beneficiaries under her residual estate..

my youngest sister who resided with my mother was left the house and contents. my mother had full mental capacity and the will was drawn up in 2007 and she was 96 when she died.

my youngest sister told my husband and myself that she has told our mum that if she didn’t make a will my brother (who was estranged from the family) would get the house (unlikely as he is a Solicitor in his own right).

furthermore she had all our mum’s finances transferred into their joint names (she told her it was something to do with her pension)
    we asked for a copy of the will and it was at that point my youngest sister who is both Executor and Trustee became quite unpleasant and distant.
    We don’t feel Probate is necessary as it all seems to have been taken care of.

when mum was very ill and needed to go into hospital she said in front of paramedics that my youngest sister wanted her gone and that if she went into hospital she needed pens.

This is proving to be very stressful and we don’t know what do to next,
    prior to mums death my youngest sister went on a spending spree on home improvements!!

What will stop her now from disposing of what is left of any residue?
    Sorry this is a long post

Tags: None

As there is a property involved then Probate will be necessary and therefore you will be able to get access to the will.

Comment

Hi,
      i have a copy of the Will but because my sister transferred all mums money into a joint account and left her the property in its entirety and free of any mortgage we didn’t think Probate would be necessary

Comment

If the property was still in your Mum's name when she died the probate would be required, even if the house is transferred to the daughter in the will.

If she was transferring money from your mum's personal accounts into a joint then I would query this. And ask for the accounts as you are a residual beneficiary.

Comment

Hi,
          thankyou for your reply.
          the house was put in joint names I believe in 2007 so I guess the survivorship element will come into force.
          there was never a mortgage on the house.
          my other sister and I do not want to have a share in the house ( even though we would certainly do that) if roles were reversed but feel mum never wanted those home improvements when she was dying and my sister was merely using mums money.
          she had a very sizeable redundancy payout about a year ago but didn’t want mum to know..she was subsequently re employed by the same company.
          sorry to droan on but as you suggest if we ask to see accounts that will certainly sever the relationship but at present she is uncommunicative and we feel she will continue to spend as we feel helpless

Comment

Originally posted by Pat33 View Post
            Hi,
            thankyou for your reply.
            the house was put in joint names I believe in 2007 so I guess the survivorship element will come into force.
            there was never a mortgage on the house.
            my other sister and I do not want to have a share in the house ( even though we would certainly do that) if roles were reversed but feel mum never wanted those home improvements when she was dying and my sister was merely using mums money.
            she had a very sizeable redundancy payout about a year ago but didn’t want mum to know..she was subsequently re employed by the same company.
            sorry to droan on but as you suggest if we ask to see accounts that will certainly sever the relationship but at present she is uncommunicative and we feel she will continue to spend as we feel helpless
            Pat,

If you post your query on the moneysaving expert probate forum you will get some very good advice,here is the link:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...play.php?f=217

There are some really knowledgeable people on there.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks for all the advice

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X