• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I am a new member of this forum, I am looking for someone to give me some advice on dealing with my late father's estate, he recently died with No Will and at the most £3k I am hoping that someone will be able to guide me on how to distribute his estate after all bills have been paid
    Thank you
    Michelle
    Tags: None

Hi Michelle and Welcome, I'm sorry to hear of your loss of your father, it can be a difficult and confusing time trying to get everything sorted out.

Peridot

Ill move your post to the Wills and probate forum and tag Peridot for you, for now though there is quite a simple to use tool on gov.uk re intestate rules https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will

xxx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi MichelleG,

I'm sorry to hear about your father. It can be tough sorting everything out even with a smaller estate.

As your father had no Will the estate must be distributed according to the Intestacy Rules which you can find here on the government website: https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will Just click through the questions and the result will explain who should benefit from the estate. Sorry just spotted Amethyst also gave you this link.

The first step is to ensure you have located any debts your father had so these are all dealt with, as well as checking he doesn't owe any tax or an overpayment of benefits to DWP. Have you contacted DWP yet? It may be that when his death was registered that all the usual tax and benefits agencies were informed if you confirmed they should be so you may already be in contact with them. In addition to debts being paid the cost of his funeral is also deducted (and paid to the person who paid for the funeral if that is relevant).

Is there sufficient in his estate to settle any debts he had? You've probably sorted this out already but if there are any issues do pop back and we can give you some more pointers if needs be.

If there are no other assets then you don't need to get a Grant which is one less thing to worry about. Hopefully things can be sorted out without any major issues for you.
      I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X