• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Looking For Advice On Writing A Will That Includes Property Protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Advice On Writing A Will That Includes Property Protection

My Wife and i are looking to write a will (a separate will for each of us) that includes being able to, upon the first persons death, leave our share in the property we own as tenants in common to our 2 children. I believe the terms being banded around on several sites are property protection trusts etc.

The main reason for this is the obvious protect half of the home from possible future care costs, but also to ensure that some of the property is inherited by the children.

How can i do this myself without having to spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds (been quoted over £1500+ for this).

If my wife and i own our home as tenants in common can we not just state in the will that when we die our 50% share of the property goes to the children. So if i die first my half of the property is left to the children meaning that they legally own half. If the surviving partner does go in to a care home, is the half left to the children by the first to die safe.

I know people talk about including a clause in the will that states the surviving partner has a life interest in the property that allows them to remain in the property until death or care home, but we couldn't we include that in the will ourselves?

Why does it have to be a trust?, How is that set up?.

I hope i have made myself clear, i am just trying to avoid paying exuberant fees to get this done.

Regards in advance

Peter

Tags: None

October is free will month! Better hurry up!

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/fa...e-cheap-wills/

not quite free, as you would be expected to make a charitable gift. Don't let the solicitor write himself in as executor!

I did write my own will, leaving everything to my wife, but that wasn't as complicated as what you are contemplating. Besides which, it would not much matter if my will is invalid as intestacy would work out fine, too.

i hope this helps, even though it doesn't answer your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by kaputchnik View Post

The main reason for this is the obvious protect half of the home from possible future care costs
      Be careful here. If the local authority thinks you have done this to avoid care home costs it could affect their assessment of your assets.

Comment

Originally posted by bruckshaw View Post

Be careful here. If the local authority thinks you have done this to avoid care home costs it could affect their assessment of your assets.
        Thanks, i have read this as possible deprivation of assets so will be careful.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X