• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance tax assets not sold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance tax assets not sold

Could somebody explain what happens if the deceased assets aren't sold how the Inheritance tax is dealt with. Only one member of the family has access to the will so all bar the one are assuming that are not beneficiaries. Otherwise the Executor would have provided a copy of the will when it was requested.
    We believe that one member of the family is allowed to continue living in the house but if they move out then it is sold and the money distributed amongst limited members of the family. The tax would be at least £40000. I understand this can be deferred 10 years but has to be paid in installments and accrues interest.
    The question is, who pays the installments and interest?
    If a loan is raised to cover this can this be indefinite of is this limited to 10 years also. The family can't see how our mother's request can be complied with as the tax as not been considered and I can't see the member who will be living in the house would be in a position to pay the installments. Our concern is that they will live in the house then rent out his wife's house. We don't think that will be fair.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Trevor51 View Post
    Could somebody explain what happens if the deceased assets aren't sold how the Inheritance tax is dealt with. Only one member of the family has access to the will so all bar the one are assuming that are not beneficiaries. Otherwise the Executor would have provided a copy of the will when it was requested.
    We believe that one member of the family is allowed to continue living in the house but if they move out then it is sold and the money distributed amongst limited members of the family. The tax would be at least £40000. I understand this can be deferred 10 years but has to be paid in installments and accrues interest.
    The question is, who pays the installments and interest?
    If a loan is raised to cover this can this be indefinite of is this limited to 10 years also. The family can't see how our mother's request can be complied with as the tax as not been considered and I can't see the member who will be living in the house would be in a position to pay the installments. Our concern is that they will live in the house then rent out his wife's house. We don't think that will be fair.
    It would depend on value of whole estate although if the property is given to children there is an allowance in place - plus if she was married may be claim re late husband's estate - would need more details - have done cases like this for many years and happy to advise/assist -if wish to contact me

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X