• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Alzheimer's diagnosis - mental capacity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alzheimer's diagnosis - mental capacity

Hi, anybody able to comment from experience or knowledge
    Sibling disputing mums capacity to make decisions in final years because of a diagnosis of Alzheimer's
    I didn't agree that a diagnosis meant had lost capacity, (memory clinic happy to continue with medication for 5 years as not deteriorating).
    I continued to support her with decisions and choices she made, where she lived,health,purchases,finances etc.
    since death sibling disputing capacity and thinks there should be more in her estate (I am executor)
    Sibling talking about court. I'm concerned there my be a case to answer because of diagnosis. Anyone know how the law courts would view.
    Families eh, no idea there was any family frictions beforehand.

Tags: None

She may be talking about court but what is she saying she is going to claim in court? SHe may very well be spouting rubbish.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Did you have a Power of Attorney before your Mother passed away?

Had your mum changed her will since the diagnosis which is causing your sibling to dispute the validity of the will ?

or is it simply a dispute on the size of the estate before distribution ? ( not due to gifts or money taken by you but because your mum had made puchases? which your sibling doesn't think she'd have made without influence? or something along those lines ?)

Peridot
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Victoria19,

Really tough for you.
        Legal capacity can be moveable, so to speak and is only relevant to the moment decisions are taken so even with a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s for example that doesn’t necessarily mean the person does not have lucid times when they are perfectly capable of making their own decisions.
        You don’t need to go into detail but things such as when the Will was made and whether the Will was prepared by a lawyer, could be relevant. If the Will is not disputed and basically divides the estate equally then I assume there can be no issue around this?
        It seems from your post that your sister is disputing what money was spent during your mum’s lifetime, is this more the issue?
        As Amethyst said were you acting for your mum under a power of attorney? Provided an attorney acts in your mum’s best interest if she was unable to make certain decisions herself then it would be difficult for her to argue there has been any wrongdoing. In any event if it is the case she is disputing money spent in mum’s lifetime this is irrelevant to the administration of the will in so far as making any claim.
        Has she been given accounts for the administration of the estate yet? Do you have records of your mothers spending before she passed away?
        It may be helpful if you could expand a bit on what your sister is alleging. Are we talking a few hundred pounds or a property that has been sold and all money spent, for example.
        sorry more questions but may be able to point you in the right direction more easily with a few more details.
        I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X