• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance issues

Hello,

My issue is a little complicated and hard to put in words so will try my best.

I am trying to get my dad his fair share of inheritance since my grandparents have passed away. There are a few issues:

My grandfather passed away in Nairobi in 1996 and left a massive estate which my dad has not seen a penny and not even the will. He had gained power of attorney from my grandmother after death and has swindled most assests and funds which were held in properties in Nairobi, Swiss and Uk bank accounts. My dad does not have evidence of bank numbers to trace these funds. To top this off my uncle passed away leaving his estate to his childern and wife in 2016 in UK.

In addition to the above, my grandmother passed away recently and the estate is still being worked on. She had given power of attorney to her sisters recently and cannot believe they will give my dad any of her inheritance. My dad had an insurance policy setup when he was young, my grandmother cancelled this policy worth about £60k and didnt give him the funds and told him to wait. I do not believe that he will get this money or any other money due to family politics. Is there anything I can do to help them get what they deserve as they are getting old and will be left with nothing due to stealing and manipulation?
    Tags: None

I forgot to add if you are a keyboard warrior please do not reply

Comment

"He had gained power of attorney from my grandmother"

WHO HE?

Comment

Hi Panthd,

You weren't wrong this is somewhat complicated.

What nationality were your grandparents and where were they domiciled? Under English law unless your father was in some way being financially supported by his parents he has no automatic right to claim against the estate. However other countries rules may be different. For example in parts of Europe there are strict succession rules for property which means spouses and children inherit certain property and it can't be willed against the rules.

The other issue you mention someone getting power of attorney once someone died. Again in the UK if someone dies the power of attorney stops too and any other dealings with their assets has to be via the executor of their will or administrator (if there is no will)

Once you've given us a little more clarification, we may be able to give you a few pointers. I suspect your father would need to get some face to face legal advice on this due to the apparently complicated nature of the estate.
        I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X