• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mental Capacity Certificate - how long is it valid for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental Capacity Certificate - how long is it valid for?

Currently in the process of contesting a will and have numerous pieces of evidence which go in our favour. Having waited 3 months for the Lark V Nugus statement and then to find out all of their files were sent to a different solicitor is frustrating because I haven’t actually got access to the certificate however I do know it was made in excess of a year previous to the will being completed (it could be even older) my question is does a certificate really stay valid for this length of time when the client has complex mental health issues? The little notes I do have from the solicitor mention the clients appearance and shows confusion also.
    Tags: None

Hi Mickeysears,

The capacity certificate is basically only valid for the time it was created. We probably need a little more information regarding what was asked as far as the certificate was concerned. Was this certificate to confirm that an individual just because they had a particular diagnosis was still able to make decisions? Was this more to do with the issues surrounding a degenerative disease such as Alzheimer's?

Mental capacity from a legal view can change during a day and assessments should be carried out both on taking instructions and when signing wills to ensure the person knows what they are instructing and understands the consequence of their signing. Lawyers are of course able to make their own assessment and often do but where dealing with an individual that may have a capacity issue it is often advisable to obtain a capacity certificate to evidence the person did understand what they were doing when they instructed and signed.

I would suggest that if there was a certificate then someone was concerned enough to check the issue. I would therefore expect a substantial attendance note confirming the state of the individual when it came to signing the Will. It wouldn't always be necessary to obtain a further certificate but it does flag an issue that should be covered by the lawyer dealing with the will instructions.
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X