• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Deceased bank account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deceased bank account

My father died 15.1.2018 and did not leave a will. His elderly sister contacted his bank and stated she was NOK and then appointed a friend of my fathers to be the administrator. I have seen very little of my father since being a very young child, probably about two yrs old. i am 46 now. My fathers sister organised the funeral and paid the bill and my sister and I attended the funeral. We were told my father has some savings in a Post Office Account and my Aunt has told them she is N OK. The bank will not speak to me and has been very rude in fact. The friend she has appointed as “administrator” is aware we as daughters are NOK but is not really telling us much about the estate bank account details or what is happening. My aunt has washed her hands of the whole thing now. We are now left in a situation of not even knowing if the estate has much value or not and dont want the expense of probate if its not worth it. What do we do to try and take back some control?
    Tags: None

Where there is no will there are rules to be followed re the estate. I assume a 'grant of letters of.administration' were granted for the 'friend' to take care of the estate and it is their duty to apply for probate if needed. As administrator they take on all the duties as an executor would if there had been a will. To be fair there has not been much time since your dad passed and so I think you should give the 'friend' time to sort out the estate properly as is required.

Please have a read of the rules on the link https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...ntestacy-rules it should make things clearer, hope this helps .

Comment

If there is no valid Will, there is a list of people who are entitled to apply for Letters of Administration which runs in the following priority order:
      1. Spouse or Civil Partner of the Deceased
      2. Child of the Deceased
      3. Grandchild of the Deceased
      4. Parent of the Deceased
      5. Brother or Sister of the Deceased
      6. Nephew or Niece of the Deceased
      7. Another relative of the Deceased

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X