• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rectification of a Will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
    Sorry I've gotten confused - the extract of the will you posted originally only mentioned b,c & d as beneficiaries of the residual estate - that new letter mentions a,b,c & d and is about removing d from the will - thus d shouldn't be in the most recent will that is being acted on, or was that later will never completed / signed etc ? And I don't know who a is. I think we have we got alphabet mix up somewhere as first post is "niece B my brother C and my nephew D" so should we switch nephew to c and brother to d there ?

Will

Letter ( Dated BEFORE or AFTER the Will above ?? )

( hopefully it's not just me being thick there lol )
    No, it's not you the confusion was caused by my bad labelling of the people involved. In the first post A was the deceased, B is her niece, C was her brother and D is her nephew. In the post about the recently presented letter, a, b, and c are the niece, brother and nephew respectively and d was removed from the will. We are discussing the will after d has been removed here. Please accept my apologies.
    Last edited by G7ivp; 23rd February 2018, 21:15:PM.

Comment

Hi Amkmeao,

Lapsed gifts occur as you indicate above, when a gift is left to someone and they die before the Will writer (testator). The gift lapses then falls into the residue of the estate to be distributed to residuary beneficiaries.

However where gifts are left to the testator's children and the child dies before the testator, their gift will be divided equally between their own children (the Testator's grandchildren), unless the wording of the Will arranges for a substitute beneficiary (someone other than the person who died before the testator) to receive the gift in these circumstances.

Sorry this has probably confused you further, if you are able to copy the clause of the Will or confirm the wording of the legacy to your brother we can explain it more clearly for you. .
      I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Peridot View Post
        Hi Amkmeao,

Lapsed gifts occur as you indicate above, when a gift is left to someone and they die before the Will writer (testator). The gift lapses then falls into the residue of the estate to be distributed to residuary beneficiaries.

However where gifts are left to the testator's children and the child dies before the testator, their gift will be divided equally between their own children (the Testator's grandchildren), unless the wording of the Will arranges for a substitute beneficiary (someone other than the person who died before the testator) to receive the gift in these circumstances.

Sorry this has probably confused you further, if you are able to copy the clause of the Will or confirm the wording of the legacy to your brother we can explain it more clearly for you. .
        Hi Peridot,
        Has this post been mis-directed? I don't understand why it's appearing at the bottom of my post.

Comment

Hi G7IVP,
          Amkmeao posted on here too at post #30 so was answering her query. Sorry for confusion. Unrelated to your matter.
          I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X