• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

TV License fine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV License fine

Mu daughter, (She that had all the credit card debts!), moved into a flat in London some time ago. The flat is shared with another and she pays half the costs. It has two bedrooms, a kitchen, living room, and a bathroom. When she first moved in she took her TV in with her, and a portable aerial as there was no TV socket in her bedroom. However due to the position of the flat, she was unable to receive a signal. she never thought anymore of it and used to watch the TV in the living room.

The problem is, whilst she was out the Tv license enforcers turned up and were let in by her flatmate. they saw her TV, and she has now received a notice of prosecution with a fine of £600 to pay.

I'm still trying to get more info on whether she has any hope of beating this.

1) tenancy agreement. Ie joint tenancy or separate tenancy.

2) As no signal, can she be deemed to have equipment capable of receiving TV?

All in all has she a hope in hell?

not seen this anywhere else on the forum.

Nik

Re: TV License fine

Not sure if this will help you Nik
    TV Licensing - Landlords and Tenants
    Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

Hi Nick,

If it is capable of receiving and processing television signals broadcast over radio waves (once you stuck an ariel in) then you need a license. If there is no chance of recieving a signal this must be proved to the TV licensing enforcers.
      Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Thanks for that scottishlass, yes I've already read that. Still working out the staus of my daughter in that respect
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        HOD, if the aerial cannot pick up a signal due to it's location, does this mean that she is not receiving a service, and if so why should she pay for no service?
        Last edited by Niklowe; 12th July 2008, 19:45:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If you fancy having a bit of fun with this Nik, look here. Bribery, Corruption and Fraud at the BBC - Stop paying your TV Licence fee NOW! | www.tpuc.org

Comment

I shall read up on the wireless telegraphy act 1949, and other pertinent data over the next few days

Comment

IMHO the TV licensing enforcers are trying it on! The offense is to be caught watching a programme on an unlicensed T.V. receiver, not merely owning one! In any case, the enforcers had no right to enter these premises and may only need to do so in a case where a Black and White license is held when they need to check that a colour receiver is not in use. They can use electronic detection to identify if a TV is working but not whether it is colour or black and white.
              I understend that these individuals often use scare tactics to enforce "their" version of the law which naturally brings in more revenue than they are entitled to. Do a thorough search on the internet to find many sites describing these tactics and the way to deal with them.

P.P.

Comment

Originally posted by Niklowe View Post
                Thanks for that scottishlass, yes I've already read that. Still working out the staus of my daughter in that respect
                ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                HOD, if the aerial cannot pick up a signal due to it's location, does this mean that she is not receiving a service, and if so why should she pay for no service?
                If no signal can be recieved then she is not liable, This must be proved to the
                liscensing enforcers, call them back and prove no service, either radio or TV programmes can be recieved and she has no liability.

Good luck,
                Hod..Liam..

Comment

Was she watching her tv in the living room? Cos if so then a signal can be received, so I don't see how she could say it couldn't. On the other hand, if the tv she was watching in the living room wasn't hers, then how can she be liable. And surely her flatmate would be responsible (morally if not legally) for half (or a least a proportion) of any fine?
                  Is no longer here

Comment

Please read this little chesnut I found...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/foi/docs/financ...VLicencing.pdf

First bit I found interesting is in their service standards:

2. If one of our Visiting Officers calls at your home
                    they will:

• When necessary, take a statement, in accordance
                    with the law, and ask the interviewee to sign it as
                    an accurate account of the interview; and
                    • Make sure the interviewee knows the consequences
                    of a statement being taken

Does your daughters house mate know they were giving a statement detrimental to your daughters financial welfare? Have they signed a statement to say that the television is your daughters and not theirs?

The other bit I read was:

8. Poor television reception
                    Your TV licence does not guarantee the quality of
                    picture you receive. If you have any problems in
                    relation to the reception of BBC programmes you
                    should call 0870 0100 123 or write to BBC
                    Information, PO Box 1922, Glasgow G2 3WT.
                    For all reception difficulties not directly related to BBC
                    programmes, you can call OFCOM on 0845 456 3000
                    or visit Home page | Ofcom
                    If you prefer to write, the address is:
                    OFCOM
                    Riverside House 2A
                    Southwark Bridge Road
                    London SE1 9HA

which says to me, regardless of reception quality, if you own a TV and want to watch it, you need a licence (in their eyes) ....

hope this helps hun

Loulou
                    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
                    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
                    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Comment

Okay i'm probably being really dense, this is one house which your daughter shares with someone else. theres a tv in the lounge with reception, she had a tv in her room but there was no reception so watches the one in the lounge. I dont think reception is the issue tbh.

okay i have a house and a tv in the lounge.....if i had a lodger - would i have to pay two tv licences if he/she has a tv in their room ?
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Regrettably, you would as the lodger be considered to be a separate "family unit" who is required to hold a separate licence to watch a T.V. in their own rooms.
                        TV license enforcers are supposed to electronically detect televisions with their "detector" vans and they now have hand held units which can do this. Modern electronics however may have defeated the enforcer's ability to detect separate receiving units hence they are now dependent more on the visit and challenge technique. In any case, detectors are not very good at detecting working tellies in blocks of flats and student accommodation as there are so many of them so they just whinge and "have a go" on occasion in these locations to try to bring errant offenders against T.V. licensing law to heel. As I said above, the offence is watching an unlicenced telly, not owning it.

P.P.
                        Last edited by P.Pilcher; 27th July 2008, 20:57:PM. Reason: typos

Comment

£600 is pretty steep if you ask me.................Was that a fine by the courts?????
                          In our area its usually a bog standard fine of £100 from the local magistrates unless you are repeatedly before the court for not having a licence then they hammer you a bit more. from what I gather also its not about the person who lives in the property but more about the person who is actually watching the TV without the neccessary licence.......

Comment

so what happens if like me, you live in a shared house but all of your names are on the lease? I live with two other people, we all have seperate rooms and tv points in each room (although we dont at the minute we will have a tv each) and a tv in the living room... does that mean we need 4 seperate licences?

L
                            Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
                            For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
                            And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Comment

If you are sharing a house you only need the one liscence, if the house is registered as a number of flats, then you will all need seperate liscences.
                              Well that's the way I see it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X