• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BT Mail changing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BT Mail changing

Must create a user ID and profile to be able to continue to access mail as BT Openworld and BT Yahoo are/have changed.
    Cannot do so on a shared computer.
    Do not want to be forced to comply to something that I do not understand and have 4 days left in which to do so or lose all access to content.
    Does this sort of thing bother people?
    Tags: None

Re: BT Mail changing

I changed my email provider as they wanted my mobile number for a confirmation code, seeing as they don't provide my calls I didn't see the need for them to have my mobile number.
    they also wanted me to create an alternative email address to email me a confirmation code, which i didnt see the need for as I had a perfectly good password that had worked for years (and I defy anyone of sane mind to figure it out). the attitude was well we need it tough.

it annoys me to the extent that I am ready to change everything to prevent it, why they need so many details is beyond me, and why a company that will never call you needs your mobile number actually scares me!!!

Comment

I fast became a netphobe.
      Being influenced on several fronts over the past 30yrs as to the merit & disadvantages to being a user of.
      Past 10 or so yrs. of being connected to the net has it's plus & minus's.
      In a perfect world it would be great to use real name but I can not as the world I live in is not perfect.
      Laws changing all the time. Onus of responsibility is placed upon the individual and ignorance is no good defence in the eyes of the law and the laws are ever changing and hackers & takers ever more versatile and many steps ahead and in some cases with good reason.
      Most of which is beyond me and I touch on the surface of of what can possibly be the right thing to do.

Yet we are forced to comply by law to be accountable, traceable and to continue using the 'services' provided with no good way out available.
      It bothers me a lot. Too many conflicts and not easy to live as sheep or being isolated if making the 'choice' not to follow blind when there can be no ignorance.

Hurricane Puffrose Re: Being made to give your mobile number. Kids at the time when facebook insisted that field be filled if people wanted to continue to use fb apps suggest giving the telephone number of Mark Zuckerberg. Apparently that worked at the time. I don't know for sure if that is true and if it was, if it still works.

Comment

psml mate!

I find in the mandatory TELEPHONE NUMBER box on websites for insurance quotes etc puttting (areacode) 1234567 works

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane Puffrose View Post
          I changed my email provider as they wanted my mobile number for a confirmation code, seeing as they don't provide my calls I didn't see the need for them to have my mobile number.
          they also wanted me to create an alternative email address to email me a confirmation code, which i didnt see the need for as I had a perfectly good password that had worked for years (and I defy anyone of sane mind to figure it out). the attitude was well we need it tough.

it annoys me to the extent that I am ready to change everything to prevent it, why they need so many details is beyond me, and why a company that will never call you needs your mobile number actually scares me!!!
          If anything like our BT service. They like it to crash now and then and send out an engineer in the hope that it's something we've done wrong so they can charge us the £199 ish it costs to send out an engineer, when in fact it's because they connect or disconnect someone else in the area and fail to get the switching right in the main connection box or sub station... anyway.
          It's useful to have a mobile with a different provider so they can call and talk you though the tests when your phone does not work. Not everyone has another person to hand to provide that at the time.

Strangely enough, we got a call not so long ago from a power company explaining we had a power cut due to work on a local substation. I found that odd.
          I already knew we had a power cut and reason was found via the fb grapevine while disconnected to the net. I thought that an unnecessary intrusion as the junk calls we receive are a bug bare as is. Power cuts & hunting for candles is more exciting than an automated apology.

Comment

[QUOTE=Reluctant;473778

Strangely enough, we got a call not so long ago from a power company explaining we had a power cut due to work on a local substation. I found that odd.
            I already knew we had a power cut and reason was found via the fb grapevine while disconnected to the net. I thought that an unnecessary intrusion as the junk calls we receive are a bug bare as is. Power cuts & hunting for candles is more exciting than an automated apology.[/QUOTE]

Now we receive those calls from our power supplier and find them useful as they tell how long the disconnection is expected to last.
            If you are old or otherwise vulnerable that can be a reassurance, and if your hale and healthy it can let you know if it's worth going out.

Regarding those who require 'phone numbers unnecessarily I too use area code plus 123456 and as I don't have a mobile I just insert random numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              Now we receive those calls from our power supplier and find them useful as they tell how long the disconnection is expected to last.
              If you are old or otherwise vulnerable that can be a reassurance, and if your hale and healthy it can let you know if it's worth going out.

Regarding those who require 'phone numbers unnecessarily I too use area code plus 123456 and as I don't have a mobile I just insert random numbers.
              Okay.. I agree it can be useful if they know how long they intend to have us cut off. It gives validity to warnings to "Shut that fridge door" , "Don't open the freezer" or... "Who wants ice cream and frozen peas for tea?"

Comment

Whilst the second point of contact through email or another address is annoying it is actually your best protection against being hacked. The idea is that in the event of a problem they can use the alternative contact to confirm your instructions. The hacker then has to steal 2 sets of credentials rather than 1 in order to make progress and this is a LOT harder. Some people use the mobile as the second layer but it is sensible to do this with caution. For example use it for online banking second authentication (if you trust your bank) but not for a less controlled environments. I recommend setting up a free account specially for this purpose which you can go to for checking purposes but otherwise lies dormant. do not be tempted to autoforward email from this account to your main one though or you immediately undermine your own defences!

Originally posted by Hurricane Puffrose View Post

Comment

You can do this safely on a shared computer. IF you are using IE as your browser, press ctrl-shift-P and you will be in "private" browsing to complete the process. When you have finished log out from BT carefully and ensure the browser is closed. If possible clear any history as well for good measure but you are safe even if you don't do that.

If you are REALLY paranoid (good thing) use firefox on a USB stick then everything you do goes with you and nothing remains on the PC after you finish!

Originally posted by Reluctant View Post
                  Must create a user ID and profile to be able to continue to access mail as BT Openworld and BT Yahoo are/have changed.
                  Cannot do so on a shared computer.
                  Do not want to be forced to comply to something that I do not understand and have 4 days left in which to do so or lose all access to content.
                  Does this sort of thing bother people?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X