• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

O2 Problems and Bryan Carter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O2 Problems and Bryan Carter

History

In 2012 O2 put up their prices by what they stated was the RPI. However, on the date they notified me, the RPI was a different amount.
    They notified the increase was 3.2 %, however, the RPI on the date they informed me of the change, by text message, was 3%.
    Whilst this is a small difference, it is a difference and therefore I believed O2 were in breach of the contract I agreed to.

Terms

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditio...011-april2013)
    If you look at section 5.3, you will see why I came to this conclusion.

Originally posted by O2 Terms
    5.3 You can end this Agreement without having to pay the Monthly Subscription Charges up to the end of any Minimum Period you have left, if:
    (a) we increase your Monthly Subscription Charges by more than the Retail Price Index (RPI) annual inflation rate at the date we notify you of the applicable price increase; or
    (b) we increase any of our Charges (apart from for Additional Services) in such a way that would have increased your total bill for the immediately previous month by more than 10% (if the increase(s) had applied for the whole of that month).
    When I contacted O2 at the time, they argued stating that they had told customers before the RPI change and the change would still stand. They did not wish to listen when I prompted they read this section of their contract with me.
    When I asked how I was meant to know about the change in price before they told me, they didn't answer.

So, I left O2 at that time cancelling the contract I according to the terms listed here.

Skip forward to July 2014.
    I received a letter this morning from Bryan Carter Solicitors.
    I do not wish to talk to anyone over the phone regarding this, and, looking at peoples experience on this forum with this company, he doesn't seem to be a person I want to talk to either.

From my point of view, I had ever right to leave O2 as they breached their contract as I have detailed above. Am I right? Should I give in and pay what is being requested?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated here. If I am right, and I really do believe that, what should do next?

Thank you very much in advance.

J

Re: O2 Problems and Bryan Carter

Hi and welcome

If you look around, you'll find Bryan Carter love to take people to court which means you need to respond to their letter, but everything should be kept in writing. Don't speak to them over the phone.

Could you post up the letter they sent you, removing all personal details? :typing:

Comment

Letter attached. Looks like there is something at the bottom, but it's covered by his letter footer.
      Attached Files

Comment

o2 contacted Ofcom to see if they could increase contracts to match RPI, which was accepted by Ofcom as long as the increase was transparent and customers were adv of the change.

In Febuary mailshots with this information was sent via letter, text and email to all customers, advising that this would be added to contracts and that future contracts would be subject to this change, it also gave a date by which you could cancel free of charge (cant remember exact dates off the top of my head!) after this you would be liable for termination charges.

if there is a note saying this letter was sent to you, then you are liable for term fees.

Comment

This is from December 2012, not this year or last year.

Comment

Just FYI, this did go to be a claim, I submitted my counter-claim defence regarding the price increase and dates of notification and I received another letter last week advising the case was now dropped.

Comment

Well done
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X