• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BT Direct Debits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BT Direct Debits

Im on a monthly billing plan with BT, and until recently my payment was taken by DD a couple of weeks after the bill was produced

The last couple of months payment dates have been brought forward to around 7 - 8 days after date of bill.
    I always thought that 10 working days notice was required for DD

Spoke to BT today, as my last bill was electronically received last Friday, 29th November and payment is being taken this Friday 6th December

I was having a lengthy argument with them when I had to cut short the call as I was going out for the day. BT has promised to ring me back tomorrow morning. I argued that BT were in breach of contract and DD scheme requires 10 working days notice before payment is taken.
    Is the DD scheme set in stone or is it just an agreement made between the banking profession

I want to be ready for them when they ring back, and intend asking them to knock some money off my bill for their breach of contract and my inconvenience.
    Tags: None

Re: BT Direct Debits

Came across this post on BT community forum

Re: Bill date brought forward 7 days for no apparent reason

Options

on ‎04-12-2013 10h27
    I have received this from the Excecutive Complaints division (emailed via CEO office) apparently it has been released to the public although not sure where it is on their web site if it has.

BT apologises to customers who have been adversely affected by the company changing the way it collects direct debit payments. We are happy to change the payment date for customers for whom this is a problem. Or they might want to consider switching to Monthly Payment Plan, where they can make a set payment each month on a specified date.
    Although we have made a small change to our policy, the date that the direct debit will be taken from a customer’s bank account is clearly shown on their bill.
    BT still allows customers plenty of time before payment is taken. Direct debit customers who receive a paper bill have 11 days from the issue of their bill before payment is taken from their account. Customers who receive their bills by email have eight days. We feel this is a reasonable amount of notice and it is in line with the notice offered by companies such as TalkTalk.
    Why has BT shortened the length of time it gives customers between receiving their bills and the payment being taken by direct debit from their account?
    Since 2010, BT has allowed its direct debit customers a minimum of six working days’ notice between the bill date and the date when the payment is taken. In fact, we actually allow 11 days for paper bill customers, including postal time, and eight days for customers whose bills are emailed to them. We did previously offer even more time, but have shortened the timescales a little to increase our efficiency with payments and to bring us more into line with industry practice offered by companies like Talk Talk, who allow eight days.
    Isn’t this contrary to the direct debit guarantee scheme that says companies should give customers 10 days’ notice?
    No, the 10 days is just for guidance. Companies can and do change this period. BT changed from the default 10 working days gap to a minimum of six days in 2010 and we notified all of our customers about this change in the first six months of 2011. Even though, our minimum period is now six days, we still actually offer much more time, between 8 and 11 days.
    When did BT change the rules for direct debit and how did you tell customers?
    We made changes at the end of 2010 and notified customers via Update magazine, which comes with the BT bill, letters and email bill alerts, during the first six months of 2011.
    Isn’t it correct that these changes have meant some customers have paid twice in one month?
    We are aware of a small number of customers who will face this scenario. We are happy to discuss a new payment date with these customers. They might also consider switching to Monthly Payment Plan, for instance, where they can pay a set amount on a specified payment date.
    While BT may have followed the rules, isn’t this all a bit sneaky and underhand in the way it has been stealthily brought in?
    We have followed the rules and we did notify customers in early 2011 over a six-month period. Remember that we actually offer 8-11 days between the bill date and the payment being taken, which is more time than the minimum we specified and in line with other companies such as TalkTalk. Additionally, the date that the direct debit will be taken from a customer’s bank account is clearly shown on their bill.

Hopefully that clears some things up for people, I am still not convinced they are allowed to do this but reading a similar problem with talk talk a couple of years ago where BACS comments were made it seems they can set any date as long as they have notified you as such and putting it in the bill seems to be acceptable.

The best you can do with BT I have found is they will restore the original date if you push hard enough and staff do seem to understand the frustrations but still tow the party line for want of a better term.

I am an ex BT employee (Retired) who is as frustrated as everyone else, I tried to get BT to see that this was perhaps an illl conceived communication issue rather than a technical one but whilst everyone seemed to be listening it was still not changing its processes or even thinking it might do this better next time.

Comment

Congratulations, BT - you've brought your billing procedures in line with Squawk Squawk, a company that is widely reviled.

Comment

BT have now agreed to change DD back to how it was, and are crediting £10 to my account for my inconvenience

Comment

Did that to me as well, and putting prices up, look out for e mail they are going to start changing for caller display, 1571 and increasing prices.
          If you still want caller display you can pre registrar but has to agree to new line rental.
          Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X