• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Samsung S3 problem with O2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung S3 problem with O2

Hi
    My husband has a Samsung S3 that has died. He checked out information and it appears the S3 suffers from Sudden Death Syndrome. He returned the phone to O2 to be repaired a week ago. They have not contacted him. He has had to chase O2. They have said today that it is not covered by the warranty because it has been rooted. Apparently by downloading apps off of the official play store you can alter your phones system which invalidates your warranty. What can he do now?
    Tags: None

Re: Samsung S3 problem with O2

Originally posted by tattooedlady View Post
    My husband has a Samsung S3 that has died. He checked out information and it appears the S3 suffers from Sudden Death Syndrome. He returned the phone to O2 to be repaired a week ago. They have not contacted him. He has had to chase O2. They have said today that it is not covered by the warranty because it has been rooted. Apparently by downloading apps off of the official play store you can alter your phones system which invalidates your warranty.
    It seems your husband is not alone with his suffering of Samsung's S3 *Sudden Death Syndrome*. We have an expert on here called Hurricanepuffrose and hopefully she'll look at this thread. I expect the debate will be whether this is the service provider's fault (O2) or a Samsung (as the manufacturer) warranty issue. Let's see what Puff has to say.

I have no idea what "rooting" is but what's the point of having a fancy smart phone if you can't download apps of your choice :noidea:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...bout-the-most/

Comment

Hiya, Plan B calls, I come running

If I am 100% honest, with it being technical I have no idea, I'm more of a billing bod! However *dramatic pause* The Puff never gives in when she gets her teeth in to something, rather than give in and say "A Wizard did it" I will pick my tech mates brains and find out what "rooting" means, what it does and wether it invalidates anyones warranty, I can't see a authorised ap harming a phone.

Please give me 24 hours to find out and I will be back

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane Puffrose View Post
        I will pick my tech mates brains and find out what "rooting" means, what it does and wether it invalidates anyones warranty
        I've read this explanation of "rooting" and it says it can invalidate a manufacturer's warranty. But it also says that you can "un-root" a phone to reverse the process so maybe that would help the OP? Although maybe not since O2 already know it's been done

http://smartphones.yoexpert.com/how-...oti-20478.html

Comment

Another interesting read on rooting, with a special part re Samsung Galaxy S2 and S3, including Sudden Death Syndrome.

It is all explained in very user friendly English. :beagle:

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. Still not sure how you reroot your phone unwillingly. I assumed it's something you'd have to physically do. I will let you know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
              Another interesting read on rooting, with a special part re Samsung Galaxy S2 and S3, including Sudden Death Syndrome.

Is there a link missing from this post ?

Comment

Could you let me know what you'd read please. :tinysmile_grin_t:j

Comment

Originally posted by tattooedlady View Post
                  Still not sure how you reroot your phone unwillingly. I assumed it's something you'd have to physically do.
                  Exactly. Your husband didn't knowingly *root* his mobile handset. He thinks it must have happened when he downloaded some App. So 02 are accusing him of invalidating his warranty when I don't think he did. The rogue App may have done it.

Surely the onus is on 02 to prove that your husband *rooted* his phone before making these wild accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                    Is there a link missing from this post ?
                    Yep!

Even worse I can't find it again at the moment. I'll look again later.

Comment

hi tattooed lady,

my apologies for the delay in coming back, but to be honest work has been so manic I have taken to answering my home phone "Hello welcome to the Business department, my name is Puff, can I help you??"

I have literally not had a moment between finishing my notes on one call and taking the next, so haven't had a chance to speak to anyone yet, but if I get a moment I will ask today! REALLY sorry about this but will freely admit I totally forgot!

Comment

Once again, I come bearing apologies, I went in to work yesterday and asked a friend "Whats rooting on a phone?"
                        Or at least that's what I thought I said... I opened my mouth and no thevoice came out!! I have been stricken with dreaded Lurgy!!!

I lasted a total of an hour before my mates complained of aching muscles from my Minnie Mouse impressions, and I ended up sounding like the product of Bonnie Tyler and Darth Vadar's ill concieved wedding!!!

I am off for a week now, sposed to be a romantic aniversary week, more likely to be a week in bed with Beechams!!

As soon as I can find anything out, I will let you know, but this is the first and last time you will see me admit defeat.. albiet a temporary one!!

:yield::sick:

Comment

Yep!

Even worse I can't find it again at the moment. I'll look again later.
                          This one?

http://australiandictionary.net/root

Seems appropriate, though! (The 'phone is rooted!)

A technical term perhaps? :tinysmile_twink_t2:

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                          gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Sorry - I still can't find the article. There's loads on Google about rooting, about S3 sudden death syndrome, how to cure it and all sorts. The one article I want has vanished into the ether though.

Sorry!

Comment

How about http://smartphones.yoexpert.com/how-...oti-20478.html
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                              gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X