• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mis Sold broadband, admitted by company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mis Sold broadband, admitted by company

Hi ya guys

Quick enquiry, I took out a 12month broadband and landline contract, im 6 months in and have been arguing about the rates on my bills, they have admtted I am not getting the service I should when I took out the contract. The advisor said Yes you have been mis-sold, but it will cost you £80 to disconnect, I was under the understanding that if the company admitted mis-selling the product the contract was then null and void, the advisor admitted that on a recorded conversation.
    Tags: None

Re: Mis Sold broadband, admitted by company

In what way are you not getting the service? who's the broadband with? Did you take it out in store or over the net / telephone?

Comment

its with 02, and i took it out on the understanding that calls to other 02 numbers were free, took it out in store.

I must have asked if 02 numbers were free 4 times in store and was told yes. I'm not getting free 02 calls, its not available and never has been. The advisor I spoke to told me that I had been mis-sold, and I said you are stating on a RECORDED telephone conversation that 02 have mis-sold me my broadband?
      he said I know what I said, and that its recorded, the broadband was mis-sold. it will cost £80 to cancel.

Comment

Yep, it looks like you need to check the T&C's, then check the promises they made, then list the failures to live up to them, Puff. Hopefully, if they realise you ain't gonna stump up the fee without a helluva fight, they'll give up and walk away. They MAY try and charge you for releasing the line by witholding your 'MAC' migration code, and you may need to check this aspect out, but I believe this practice is now disappearing with the onset of a thing called 'Local Loop Unbundling' (LLB) at local exchanges.

Comment

I'm a great believer in bypassing official complaints procedures and going straight to the top. Here's the CEO's E-Mail should you want to use it:

ronan.dunne@o2.com

Comment

Hi Puff,

It sounds very much to me that the telecoms provider said you would be provided with one thing and is actually supplying you with something else that is inferior. The fact that you have challenged them and they have now admitted to not providing you with the service you and they agreed to when you took out the contract, indicates to me that they are on a very sticky wicket asking you to pay £80 to disconnect.

They are not meeting their side of the deal and, as such, you are within your rights to require them to put things right. The choices you have available are -
            1. They provide you with the service you agreed to for the remainder of the contract period and pay you compensation for their non-compliance during the initial six-month period; or
            2. Having admitted to not providing you with the service you agreed to, they agree to you ending the contract early without paying the disconnection charge; or
            3. They refuse to do anything, leaving the door open for you to take enforcement action against them which, in their case, could be expensive as they would have to pay compensation and also run the risk of loss of reputation and business.

If you go for Option 1 or Option 2, both you and the telecoms provider will have to agree, in writing, that they have not complied with their side of the deal and, as a consequence, you both agree to the resolution you finally agree upon. Option 3 is a case of ensuring the Civil Procedures Rules are complied with before issuing proceedings.

It might not be a bad idea to contact OFCOM and your local Trading Standards Department. They might be able to help you resolve the issues you currently have with your telecoms provider without having to go to the extent of issuing proceedings in the court.

BB
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Puff,

Which package are you on and were you previously an O2 customer? I've read the current T&C's and can't see anything about free calls to other O2 phones. Are you talking free landline to O2 mobiles, free O2 andline to landline, mobile to mobile, or generally if you're with O2 you don't pay to call another O2 customer whether it be landline or mobile?

Sorry to ask the questions, I'm trying to get my head round their current T&C's and call options.

Comment

Hiya labman,

prior to 02 we were plusnet customers, and took out the 02 contract in November.
                We were promised in store a "special deal to 02 customers" of calls from the landline to other 02 landlines and mobiles. We already had 02-02 calls on our mobiles. I specifically said my sisters have 02 phones, one has a landline with 02, and the man in the shop said great all free from the landline.

They admit there has never been a tariff where you get free 02-02 calls on the landline, and the customer services advisor was the first to say you have been mis-sold.

The also admit they have failed on 9 different occasions with their service promises.
                1 it took 9 calls for someone to tell me the name of the package I was on,
                2 it took 4 calls to find out about answerphone I still dont have,
                3 I am still awaiting my welcome pack!!
                4 it took 7 attempts to register a password for the account
                5 my online billing has STILL not been set up, they text me the amount we owe.
                6 the first 3 months were sposed to be free, and the box was sposed to be free, we still havent had the money back for the price of the box
                7 it took me 9 phone calls to be told the number of the mobile phone I needed to keep topped up to claim my discount.
                8 My online account with 02 is non exsistant.
                9 I was told 6 times by customer services I didnt have 02 broadband. in the end I went on the 02 homepage and found an online help button, said i needed help with the broadband and was told im not a customer, then said IM ON IT NOW!!! they then realised i meant home broadband!!!

Comment

Possibly fair to say things haven't gone smoothly for you then?

I think we can safely say, "Go gett'em Puff!" and I suspect you will. I'd still be inclined to write a polite, but very firm letter to the CEO. I adore crafting CEO letters, and at least you know they will be dealt with.

Comment

O2's sales staff are either incompetent, haven't received proper product training or were inspecting the backs of their eyelids when they attended the product training sessions. I agree with Labman that a letter to the CEO of O2 is in order. If anything, they should be firmly told to get a grip on their company's employees. They do not, IMHO, have much choice but to agree to a resolution that is acceptable to you, not O2.
                    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Called them back today demanding a resolution.

They have admitted I have been mis-sold and I am getting my free of charge disconnection. I am taking the lot to BT as they have the fastest speeds in our area.. and I wouldnt go back to plusnet if you paid me my weight in gold

They didnt like it when i mentioned my former employer who was.... lemme think.. oh yeh, 02!!

Comment

What about the first three months and the cost of the box? They owe you for those as well.

Comment

cheque is speeding its way to us as we speak

Comment

At the risk of being sexist, "That's my girl!":beagle:

Comment

ty "dad" :tung:

I learnt from the best :yo:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X