• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unexpected Early Termination Charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unexpected Early Termination Charges

Thanks Ame for the thumbnails. In a rush this morning as about to leave on holiday.

I wonder if they've sent you the letter telling you your package will be changing as they should. You state you did nothing. The FAQ thumbnail clearly states your contract dates will not change unless you take out a new package.

As you were given no choice I'm wondering if as most of these things are computer generated now, with no human input, the computer has seen change in contract thus charges apply.

I would go into a shop, or phone them. Insist on speaking to a senior advisor (you'll need to go at least three levels up the call centre system before you gt to someone who can genuinely help) - stay polite, but firm. Explain what has happened and take the approach "I know it's an unintentional mistake and these things happen, but obviously it needs correcting." See what happens once humans get involved - you may just get a result. If not, post back on here and tell us. TRY TO RECORD THE CONVERSATION IF YOU CAN!

Comment

Thank you Paul, Amethyst & Caspar for post.

I have already sent a letter to TalkTalk (copy below). The copy doesn't show it but it has been dated. Nigel Pearson is the man who is responsible for the letter from TalkTalk.

Nigel Pearson
      Senior Director, Customer Services
      TalkTalk Group
      Talk Talk Customer Services
      PO Box 14505
      Birmingham
      B46 1BF

Dear Mr Pearson
      Customer Code:
      Telephone No.

I have been charged an early cancellation fee; TalkTalk have taken £357.91 from my account by Direct Debit.

I refer to your letter dated 21st June 2010 in which you advised me that you were preparing to move me to a new package. I chose not to register for the new package and did not renew my contract, I therefore should not have been charged an early cancellation fee when I moved away from Tiscali / TalkTalk.

I would be grateful if you could reimburse the money immediately.

Yours sincerely

I have been looking again (and again, and again) at the TalkTalk letter. The Q & A questions do appear to link a contract change with a new package upgrade, which I did not request. Perhaps it is a computer generated mistake as you suggest Caspar but as someone else from another forum has also been caught in the "trap", I doubt it.

My letter has requested an immediate return of money, How long should I wait for their reply before proceding further.

Now the TalkTalk letter is available to view could anyone looking in who has contract experience, look it over and give their comments.

Regards

Always Hopeful
      Last edited by Always Hopeful; 23rd October 2010, 19:42:PM.

Comment

Sorry about the post I copied my letter from MSWord and that's outcome. Found out how to edit the errors now but now I can't cancel this post.
        Last edited by Always Hopeful; 23rd October 2010, 19:50:PM.

Comment

I don't think its been said yet, what was your contract period with Tiscali (ie was it an annual contract from July 2009 to July 2010).

Are talk talk saying your contract period is from Jan 2010 to Jan 2011 ? (ie when they took over it started a new contract)
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hello Amethyst

No contract with Tiscali. I'd been with them for many years and could leave at anytime.

The Talktalk letter appears to be the only contractual information sent. I haven't received any contract as such from TalkTalk

Regards

Always Hopeful

Comment

If you go here:

http://broadband.talktalk.co.uk/tiscali/questions

It quite clearly states:

No, all customer contracts will remain unchanged.

This is clearly untrue. They cannot on their website set up specifically for this issue state one thing, then write you a letter saying they're doing something else. You must have a pretty iron proof case to reclaim your termination fees. ?I'd give them either 7 or 14 days then get onto them again.

Sorry, I'm still away so only popping in tonight as long as the signal remains - back properly on Sunday / Monday. Still think it's worth popping into Carphone Warehouse who own Talk Talk and ask them for a breakdown of your fees etc... Take your paper work with you and the link above to their own website where they seem to have contradicted themselves - see what they say.

Comment

Thank you Caspar.

I Looked on the link you gave and printed the Frequently Asked Questions. It does support why I stayed with Tiscali / Talktalk - no change of contract.

As my internet account originated online I don't think Carphone Warehouse would be interested. I'll give it 14 days (the Recorded Delivery reached them on the 25th October) and then look at the situation again. As my letter is not part of the complaint procedure, I don't think there is a set time to wait so I will start the formal complaint procedure from then.

best regards and thanks again for the research.

Almost Hopeful

Comment

I have found a press release, dated March 3rd 2010, on the TalkTalk Press Centre page. The headline says:

TalkTalk gives 24meg speed to all customers - for free.

-No extra cost and no contract extension

-New and existing customers will be able to surf, download and stream as fast as their lines will allow.

Over the next 4 months all TalkTalk customers will be placed on a 24 Meg speed profile. This means that all new and existing TalkTalk customers will automatically get the fastest speed their line will support, all at no extra cost and with no need to extend or sign a new contract for existing customers.

The billing changed from Tiscali to TalkTalk in January 2010 so I was an existing customer.

TalkTalk Press Centre: News Press Releases

Comment

Good Evening Everyone

I have received a reply from TalkTalk. Customer Services say they understand my frustration regarding the early termination charges and have escalated a request to process a refund. They say "For your information, your account has been cancelled on 9th July 2010"

I have sent another letter querying that statement and reminding them that I have no contract and my time with Tiscali/TalkTalk has been continuous and without a break for many years. I have pointed out that I am still expecting a full refund. I have asked if it was their intention to give me a full refund and if not why. I see prevarication at every turn.

I have a copy of a letter of a similar complaint from an ex Pipex/TalkTalk customer who had money taken from his account by Direct Debit (by TalkTalk) for contract cancellation even though he had no contract with them. He was promised a refund and even though he emailed them and telephoned them numerous times he had to wait months for the refund. I have sent a copy of this letter and asked for this not to happen in my case.

I am beginning to feel that there may be a "scam" in progress. All money taken temporarily is earning interest for TalkTalk and how many people just forget it to save the hassle. Something seems very wrong here. I will keep you posted.

Regards

Almost Hopeful

Comment

TalkTalk ordered to pay refunds after bill errors | This is Money

Comment

It's a shame Tiscali went. I was with them for years! Talk talk are in my experience by far the worst telecommunications company I have ever dealt with.

As you will know, they have a habit of hanging around town centres trying to drum up business. My wife rapidly abandons me when she knows I've seen one as I make a beeline for them. By the time I've finished all their nice new leads have walked away.

I am NEVER rude to them, but I do state facts from my personal experience and experiences of others I've helped with Talk Talk. That rather puts other people off!

Comment

Thanks Paul, I've looked at the link, how nice to see Ofcom involved, I've posted my comments.

I'm still waiting for TalkTalk's reply to my second letter. Will keep you posted.

Regards

Always Hopeful

Comment

Hello everyone

Here's the latest in the saga

I have received a letter from Tiscali apologising for the bad experience I have received. They confirm my account has been cancelled and that a credit for £304.23 is on the way plus £10.00 as a gesture of goodwill. Note! no mention of £304.23 + VAT.

I immediately sent a letter reminding them that the money they owe me is £357.47 (£304.23 + VAT) and asked them to review the goodwill amount as this does not in anyway reimburse me for raising corresepondence, postage and loss of earnings.

Low and behold a cheque has arrived for £304.23, they still owe me £53.24 plus the goodwill amount. I have written another letter pointing out the "error".

I do believe TalkTalk staff are trained to get customers to lose the will to live. It is a process of trying to wear you down. They try and get you to give up.

For anyone who reads this post and has a Tiscali /TalkTalk issue please do try and follow these points:
                            1. Do not telephone them.
                            2. Do not email them.
                            3. Write to them by recorded delivery each and every time.
                            4. Read the worse in every nuance you find in their letters to you. What may appear good news should be viewed with a critical eye.
                            5. Dig in for a long seige.
                            6. Retain copies of all correspondence and recorded delivery receipts.
                            I'll keep you posted.

Best Regards

Always Hopeful

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X