• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BBC Licence Fee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC Licence Fee

I realise this is under the umbrella of Viewing Licence. But I do not watch BBC at all, I have Virgin Media cable and want to know the legalities of cancelling my Licence, which is about to rocket to £157 for something I do not use.

The Govt harps on about 'might' cancel the Licence, 'are looking into cancelling the licence' but no FACTS. I belong to a group in Facebook known as 'I Hate The BBC'. Which I wholeheartedly agree with. They are far left, ethnic orientated and VERY biased - not to mention FAKE NEWS is the norm.

The topic on the FB Group is how many have already killed off their licence fee. Several hundreds of thousands to be precise. Many people are scared to remove this as they fear court action as criminals. The Govt promised to decriminalise BBC, but as yet have done nothing. The BBC in the face of rising abhorance are misguiding the public with broadband fees etc etc.

Question: Can I legally bin the licence as I do not watch anything BBC?
    Darkness is only the absence of light; ignorance is only the absence of knowledge.
    Tags: None

HI
    I cancelled my licence about a year ago, the rules are set out here*https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ265
    You can cancel your licence if you no longer:
    • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel or
    • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service*(such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.) or
    • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

Comment

the legislation is herehttp://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/part/4*and herehttp://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made*
      363Licence required for use of TV receiver

(1)A television receiver must not be installed or used unless the installation and use of the receiver is authorised by a licence under this Part.

(2)A person who installs or uses a television receiver in contravention of subsection (1) is guilty of an offence.

(3)A person with a television receiver in his possession or under his control who—

(a)intends to install or use it in contravention of subsection (1), or

(b)knows, or has reasonable grounds for believing, that another person intends to install or use it in contravention of that subsection,

is guilty of an offence.

(4)A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable, on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

(5)Subsection (1) is not contravened by anything done in the course of the business of a dealer in television receivers solely for one or more of the following purposes—

(a)installing a television receiver on delivery;

(b)demonstrating, testing or repairing a television receiver.

(6)The Secretary of State may by regulations exempt from the requirement of a licence under subsection (1) the installation or use of television receivers—

(a)of such descriptions,

(b)by such persons,

(c)in such circumstances, and

(d)for such purposes,

as may be provided for in the regulations.

(7)Regulations under subsection (6) may make any exemption for which such regulations provide subject to compliance with such conditions as may be specified in the regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by elbmek View Post
        I realise this is under the umbrella of Viewing Licence. But I do not watch BBC at all, I have Virgin Media cable and want to know the legalities of cancelling my Licence, which is about to rocket to £157 for something I do not use.

The Govt harps on about 'might' cancel the Licence, 'are looking into cancelling the licence' but no FACTS. I belong to a group in Facebook known as 'I Hate The BBC'. Which I wholeheartedly agree with. They are far left, ethnic orientated and VERY biased - not to mention FAKE NEWS is the norm.

The topic on the FB Group is how many have already killed off their licence fee. Several hundreds of thousands to be precise. Many people are scared to remove this as they fear court action as criminals. The Govt promised to decriminalise BBC, but as yet have done nothing. The BBC in the face of rising abhorance are misguiding the public with broadband fees etc etc.

Question: Can I legally bin the licence as I do not watch anything BBC?
        I recognise no juristiction over the choices other than BBC. They have no say, nor right, to stop me watching non BBC channels.
        Darkness is only the absence of light; ignorance is only the absence of knowledge.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X