• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scam telephone calls - who is controlling the use of telephone numbers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam telephone calls - who is controlling the use of telephone numbers?

Scam telephone calls such as those purporting to be from a (or your) Bank and so on, are not new. I get the silent call almost every day. Unsolicited pre-recorded messages are apparently illegal. Most of the time the caller number is withheld, so pursuing the matter further is difficult and it's easier to hang up and move on!

However, today I received a call with a pre-recorded message purporting to be from a high street bank - fraud prevention, quoting my name and to press keys on the hand set. Hung up immediately! Unusually, 1471 produced the caller number. The same call with message, was received about 2 hours later.

In the meantime, I called the bank, who called the number, and advised that they also thought the recorded message dodgy.

Called OFCOM and although the incident was recorded (given ref no.), advised that they do not investigate this sort of thing, thought it was a data protection issue (due to my name), directed me to Information Commissioner's Office (IFC) - who weren't interested (as call did not involve "unsolicited marketing") & directed me to Office of Fair Trading / Consumer Direct. Telephone advise also appeared luke warm and suggested that the matter might be referred to Trading Standards.

2 hours and 3 quangos later, I still don't know which body is responsible for protecting the consumer against this kind of activity and no one seems mildly interested - or even responsible- for investigation - and it may not even be illegal!

The various telecoms companies selling these anonymous numbers are deriving income from this activity, so it should be possible to trace those involved.

Perhaps naively, I thought that modern (telecoms!) technology might produce the name of the user of an (0845) number at the press of a few buttons!! - resulting in a few rapped knuckles... Apparently not - although it seems consumer details are available to anyone prepared to pay a few bob!

Can you shed light on this area of telecoms regulation and who might be responsible for investigating matters such as this? I thought OFCOM were a consumer protection organisation, but also appear to licence telecoms services to the industry - is this dual role a conflict of interest?

I understand that telephone scams generally operate for a very short period of time and investigation needs to be quick if any fraud is to be investigated. Is there any initiative to tackle this problem for consumers...?

Thanks

(PS - I am registered with the (Telephone Preference Service))

Re: Scam telephone calls - who is controlling the use of telephone numbers?

Reading through your post my immediate thoughts were to advise you to register with TPS, however on seeing your last sentence :tinysmile_cry_t:

The silent calls are usually auto dialled, there are only a number of operators able to take calls that actually connect/are answered so unfortunately if there is no operator available at the other end when you answer all you hear is silence. These calls can be quite distressing to a lot of people.

I am afraid I cannot offer you any more advice than to contact OFCOM about this except maybe to contact your telephone service provider to monitor incoming calls to your number. They have a duty of care to protect you from nuisance calls but I cannot confidently say they will be of any help, it is worth trying though.

Let us know if you do find the number calling you and how you get on.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Silent calls are not banned they have to be under I think it was 5% of any call centers total number of calls.

Silent Calls:FAQs | Ofcom

4. What powers does Ofcom have to tackle silent or abandoned calls?

Under sections 128-130 of the Communications Act 2003, Ofcom can take enforcement action when there are reasonable grounds for believing that a person (either an individual or a legal entity) has persistently misused an electronic communications network or service. A person misuses a network or service if the effect or likely effect of their behaviour is to cause unnecessary annoyance, inconvenience or anxiety to another person.
      Under section 131 of the Act Ofcom is required to publish a statement of its general policy with regard to the exercise of its powers under sections 128-130. Ofcom can revise the statement, from time to time, as it sees fit.

I seem remember being told a few years ago that most scam calls come from overseas and there is little the UK authorities can do about it.
      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
      oh look

17. How can consumers complain if they receive a silent or abandoned call?

If you have not done so already, you should contact your network or service provider. Your provider might be able to identify the organisation making the silent or abandoned calls and provide you with advice or assistance to prevent such calls in the future.
      If you continue to receive silent or abandoned calls and your network or service provider is unable to assist, please contact Ofcom’s Contact Centre to register a complaint:
      Web: www.ofcom.org.uk
      Phone: 0300 123 3333
      Fax: 0300 123 0811
      Riverside House
      2a Southwark Bridge Road
      London
      SE1 9HA
      Ofcom's Contact Centre logs all complaints under a case reference number. Ofcom will update our database of complaints accordingly. This information will help Ofcom to target and take action, where appropriate, against organisations that are making these types of calls.
      Last edited by Mochamoo; 10th November 2008, 15:48:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
      Me VS Abbey Win
      BIL HSBC Credit Card
      BIL EGG
      BIL HSBC Loan
      BIL PPI Win

Comment

Bit of a grey area. Strictly speaking, with the TPS all UK based companies have permission for cold calls withdrawn by the customer, even if the company involved is using overseas staff. However, this is not always followed by UK companies with overseas staff & use them for unsolicited outbound calls. The customer's phone SERVICE PROVIDER is responsible for finding out who is making the calls. The customer is then given the relevant info & asked to contact OFCOM with the info as OFCOM is the overseer of the TPS, not the phone companies.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X