• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Energy bill debts warning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Energy bill debts warning

I've checked my bills against my meter for years, ever since working for a gas/electric company [and seeing problems caused]...if it was underestimated i called my own reading in, if overestimated i just left it so that i'd get in front.

I now have paperfree billing and when I'd been with my current supplier a couple of months, I could obviously see that the monthly DD they'd set up [£50] wasn't going to cover my usage, so I called and asked to increase it to £70 [which was a comfortable amount for me, but enough so that I wouldn't have to make up as much difference]

I was told that I couldn't do that and I could only increase it to what the computer said and once the figures where entered they couldn't change it [bull**** I know]...a couple of months later, low and behold, up goes my DD to £105 pm!!!

As it happens I'm pretty much stable financially now, but a couple of years ago that would have been it for me...back to being in debt again!!

Comment

Originally posted by tomterm8 View Post
      I never understood why the energy companies don't use automatic monotoring technology. This technology goes back for years, is simple and effective, and would allow people to be billed accurately. I suspect it is a simple case of it costing too much... after all, it doesn't matter if you get the bills wrong because you only read them every 3 years, you just recoup any error from the customer.
      You're right, it is a matter of cost, however, E.ON are trialling smart metering in a few areas at the moment (I know some areas in Yorkshire for sure)
      Smart meters send back once a month to your energy supplier, your meter reading via a mobile SIM card. This technology is still in the very early stages, it also relies on you being able to get signal with the phone network they use in your area, no doubt, this will be improved if the trial is a success.

Loulou
      Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
      For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
      And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Comment

I've got a problem with N Power , i've been paying £50 per month direct debit , now they sent me a bill for £1100 underpayment> I cannot afford to pay this amount they want me to pay £270 per month to pay off the debt and pay for my monthly electric....(yes just electric) to pay for the £170 a month they rekon I use. They will not even check to see if maybe the meter is wrong.

Comment

There is a link somewhere for the new "body " in charge of complaints as it is no longer energy watch.

How often have they been reading your meter and how long is the period that these "underpayments" have arisen

We are in a similar position although the UP is less.

I think SEB have invoiced us for all the underestimated units at todays higher cost - when we may have used them a year ago at a lower cost!

This is a scandal.All the Electric companies are sending less bills and not reading meters and they know costs have gone up.\Then they just increase your DD with hardly any notice.

They should have dealt with this problem months ago. IMO they are just adding to peoples problems
          "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Here is the link you need http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/

Also although I can't help with your problem Tafflaff, I will say IMO they have done this so as you would find it very difficult to change suppliers. You would in fact owe them too much to settle the final bill as you must do. Can I also ask you start a thread in the utilities forum with this, you will then get more response and you can keep us up to date with it Thanks Enaid x http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...splay.php?f=95
            I really think we need a campaign to get people to do their own readings and send them in (without cheating too) and also to help people understand how to work their bills out.
            Also to get them to carry out the fuel saving tips that are all over the place.
            It is getting to the stage where fuel as well as being a necessity is almost a luxury for some a very sad situation indeed. Enaid x
            Last edited by enaid; 1st November 2008, 07:19:AM.

Comment

This underpayment is for a 1 year electric bill only 1 year , my argument with them was that my monthly usage seems very high, they say its normal wilth 4 kids , I say B O L L O C K S , scuse the french but I am rather wound up. I will start a thread in this forum

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X