• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Severn Trent Water Supply - Billed from 2007 to date!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Trent Water Supply - Billed from 2007 to date!

Hi all,

I have recently received a bill for Water supply at an old address. I lived there for a year, between 2007 and 2008. The flat was rented.

The invoice I have from Severn Trent is for £2700, for Water Charges from 2007 to date!

I have spoken with them and all I am getting back is that they need proof of the dates I was resident there, before they resume sending letters from debt collection agencies.

I have no paperwork from back then and no details for the landlord.

What can I do ?

Please help!
    Tags: None

Re: Severn Trent Water Supply - Billed from 2007 to date!

First rule is don't phone, write only and get at least proof of posting (although I prefer recorded signed for delivery).
    Don;t understand why they need proof of your residency at that address, surely they are looking for proof you weren't there.
    How far back do your records go?
    Do you have banking records?/ tax records?/ driving licence?/ passport?/ other utility records? that would show change of address and could be submitted in support

Comment

Hi des8. Thanks for the reply

I have no paperwork. To cut it short, relationship issues that caused me to move back in with my family in August 2008. I then left the UK in March 2009 to work on board cruise ships until early 2011. No changes to any paperwork other than drivers licence which was changed to my family address in Derby and then to my current address in Kettering.

You're right about the proof of residency, I need to prove that I haven't lived there since August 2008. Just no idea on how to go about it.

Comment

Are there no employment records/ income tax records?
        The only other suggestion I have is a Statutory Declaration .
        Others hopefully will come along with other suggestions

Comment

I have requested my employment records for my time at sea. Not sure how much weight they would carry mind.

Tax wise I have nothing until 2011 as it's tax free working at sea.

How would I go about putting a Statutory Declaration together ?

Thanks for your help on this, has caused a few sleepless nights at home seeing as it came through the same day we booked our wedding!

Comment

Congratulations on forthcoming nuptials
            OF course the onus is on the water company to prove your liability, but it can be a lot less stressful to head them off

Re the declaration word it along following lines:

I, [First Name] [Surname] of [Address] do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:

Then insert statement declaring you left the flat, detailing address, at date,.
            I then resided at (insert address) with (name members of family until date.
            I then worked on cruise ships (name ships, line and employer etc if known)until
            I then resided at(insert address)etc etc

I make this solemn declaration believing the same to be true and by virtue of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835
            Signed: [your signature]

Declared at: [Solicitors Address]
            On this [Day] Day of [Month/Year]

Before me,
            [solicitors signature]

[Solicitor’s Name, Occupation, Address]

You then pop down to your local solicitors with change (cost probably less than £10)

Comment

That's great, many thanks for your help

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X