• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

E.ON Next

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E.ON Next

Hi all,

Hoping you can help and thanks in advance. I moved into my property in 2021. A year later I became aware, following an EON engineer visit to install a smart meter, that there was a meter mismatch. As I live in a flat and the meter is a in a boiler room with around 20 other meters, it was not possible for him to identify on the day which meter was mine. I reported this to EON and they said that they had put it out to investigation. I did my own brief investigation and felt I may have identified which one was mine, although could not access this routinely as access to the meters requires the concierge to unlock the room.

The investigation has only just concluded, 25 months on, and they have confirmed that the meter I suspected is actually mine. During this time, they continue to send me bills for the incorrect meter and I was told I could ignore these (although they would recommend making a contribution to my account) and I would be billed once the meter mismatch was corrected. I suspended payments, as they told me the issue would only take 2 months to resolve, so I have not been making any payments although having been putting money aside to pay once I was billed. I have not had an accurate bill in over 2 years.

They have now issued the final bill and it is over £3000. They have offered a £100 discount as an apology for the duration and a 12-18 month repayment plan. My question is, does the back-billing principle apply here? When I have prompted them they have said that as the amount that I had been billed on the incorrect meter was more than the amount on my actual meter, back-billing rules don't apply as my account is financially better off. Are they trying it on or do I have a case if I escalate this? Just trying to find out my rights.

Thanks,

Squire
    Tags: None

You informed them, they start an investigation, continue billing you with the incorrect amount.
    The only thing that maybe tricky, is 'you stopped' payments, but I understand why.
    You should of say, paid a reduced amount each month, say £50. But they clearly made errors.

I think so. The best thing to do is lodge a formal complaint, reason being they billed you and didn't apply the 'back billing' Rules, follow the complaints procedure on their website. Email the complaint.

When you get a Final Response / Deadlock Letter, if you don't agree with their decision, make a complaint to the Services Ombudsman.

In the meantime, send them a Subject Access Request, they have 30 days to provide all the data on the account.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think you’re right, I should have kept paying a nominal amount. Part of me was worried that they would overcharge me and id have to battle to get money returned, having not been through this process before.

ill start with a SAR and then complain to Ofgem.

Comment

Originally posted by squire1234 View Post
        Thanks for the info. I think you’re right, I should have kept paying a nominal amount. Part of me was worried that they would overcharge me and id have to battle to get money returned, having not been through this process before.

ill start with a SAR and then complain to Ofgem.
        You can complain to OFGEM, but that will be a waste of time / effort, they don't investigate individual complaints.

Send the SAR, you will have more information / evidence to make your complain to EON Next / Services Ombudsman.

Update the thread when you get a response.

Comment

Oops I meant ombudsman rather than Ofgem. I've put the SAR request in today using the template you linked.
          I actually already have a deadlock letter from EON Next following my complaint.

Comment

Originally posted by squire1234 View Post
            Oops I meant ombudsman rather than Ofgem. I've put the SAR request in today using the template you linked.
            I actually already have a deadlock letter from EON Next following my complaint.
            Once you get the SAR information, it should give you loads of evidence / information to make your case. Write a detailed chronology of events in your complaint to the OS.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X