• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Smart meter install, gas failed to record. 2 months, how to resolve use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart meter install, gas failed to record. 2 months, how to resolve use?

Dear All,

1. Question.
    What would be a reasonable settlement for the gas used for 2 months while the new gas meter did not work?
    Client of ShellEnergy. {All calls were recorded}

2. Background.
    New smart meters installed, Electricity and Gas was installed on 2022.12.30 Fri, this date will be D day.
    Once installed was told by engineer the display {In house display {IHD}, little tablet thing} will only start showing data in +- 2 days.
    It was new year with public holidays + weekend.

+- 2023.01.04 Wed {D+5} The IHD started to work and showing electricity use, no gas use was shown.
    Walked to these smart meters realized the new gas meter is not recording any data. {difficulty since button clicks are required on new meters}

2023.01.05 Thu 08H33 {D+6} Rang Shell, per recording informed them the gas meter is not working.
    => I was instructed to wait 2 weeks, they cannot create a request so soon after the install.
    => I thanked them for free gas, I insisted prefer to pay. I was told I must 2 weeks.

2023.01.19 {D+20} Rang Shell for second time since I had to wait the 2 weeks.
    Shell request video and photos as proof. I sent this.
    I was informed the first available engineer will be 2023.02.23 {D+55}.
    Again thanked them for free gas but stressed I will not be willing to pay estimates as stated in my phone call dated 2023.01.04.
    They put me on hold to find engineer sooner. Not an option Shell said, it will be earliest date 2023.02.23.

2023.02.23 D+55- Today, expect engineer onsite to replace broken new gas meter.

Once this meter is replaced today, what do your recommend I do in terms of billing for the gas use for the 55 days?

Thank you.

Tags: None

Brief update, hope this will help others.

Till now it seems Shell billed me zero pounds for the gas use.
    Meter is replaced, will see in month of this remain the case.

The install engineer stated: if the meter is broken the utility provider is not allowed to charge you for an estimate.

Comment

Good news! If there's no record, how on earth can they prove you used any gas at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Haddock View Post
        Good news! If there's no record, how on earth can they prove you used any gas at all?
        I think they can refer to historic usage for the same/similar period.
        I guess any estimate is open to challenge, though.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

The final outcome here was:
          For the duration of this newly installed gas meter not working:
          - I was only invoiced for the gas connection fee per day. Any home must pay this to be connected to the gas network.
          - I was not invoiced, paid zero for the gas use during this time.

When the engineer came to replace the meter he could no understand why I complained for having free gas. He referenced cases where persons paid zero for use for years.

My position is simple, I do not want anything for free, if I use it I want to pay for it.
          You become sick if start getting use to having things for free.

Once this was solved the real battle for access to my smart meter data started.
          That for another a thread.

{Short version DO NOT get smart meters, they all lie, the utility provider, The Data Communications Company, the Government . It matter not even if you use the policy from government with publication, page and paragraph, I still have no access to the data from the meters itself. They want you to not have access, at best pay a 3rd party for the data you own.}

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X