• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Chased for old water bill in someone else's name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chased for old water bill in someone else's name

Hi all,

Many years ago I lived in a shared house. I was young and naïve and didn’t understand about bills. One of my housemates (J, who was paying the water bill) moved out, circa July 2015 and I started paying the water bill which remained in her name.

Then in March 2016 I had to move out suddenly due to one of my housemates threatening the other. I paid the final bill for March, then at some point left the key behind.

For the next three years, I received calls from debt collectors chasing another housemate for the electricity bill (which I had been paying but had been in previous housemate’s name (M) as well). I received a couple of calls about the water bill and then nothing. It looked as though the people who remained in the house were using the power and not paying.

Finally, I called the electricity company in 2019 and explained the situation. They were nice about it and took me off their system, but said I needed to contact either the landlord of the M to sort things finally. I did so and then the calls stopped. I had heard nothing about the water bill since 2016 at this stage and assumed that they had got in contact with J and straightened it all out. I moved on with my life.

Then, in September of this year, I was emailed by BW Legal looking for J. It looks like not only has the situation not been resolved but the water company has sold the debt to JC International Acquisitions.

I tried to get hold J but messaged instead of calling and she seems to have ghosted me. Finally, I called BW Legal, said that they had contacted me but I wasn’t her (without giving any more details) and they took me off their system.

Since then, I’m wondering if I did the right thing, morally and legally. I don’t think I owe this money as it was run up in a period when I lived somewhere else, but I don’t think the person on the bill does either. I’m also worried about her getting a judgment and turning around and trying to sue me, as I have admitted in my message to her to paying the bills while they were in her name.

Am I liable for this bill? If so, I’d rather just pay it now and have done with it.
    If not, and I get sued by J, how do I defend myself?

Am I obliged to give BW Legal the J’s name/details?

Alternatively, am I obliged to explain the situation to BW Legal/JC International Acquisitions? To be honest, I’d rather they go after the people who were in the house at the time (they were the ones who ran up the debt) than J.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by DonnysBrook; 11th December 2022, 21:43:PM. Reason: Edited slightly for clarity.
    Tags: None

I got lost and confused at "I tried to get hold of the person whose J".

That said, it is difficult to see how you can be liable.

You can, of course, speak to the others concerned to let them know.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I fail to see how you can be liable. Tell the Council that they are writing to the wrong person.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
        I got lost and confused at "I tried to get hold of the person whose J".

That said, it is difficult to see how you can be liable.

You can, of course, speak to the others concerned to let them know.
        Apologies, I appreciate that was long winded: basically, I was a water bill that was in a previous tenant's name. I moved out without telling the water company and I think that the people who were in the house after me have run up a debt in her name. I was chased recently by BW Legal who were looking for her, but told them I wasn't her. I've tried to give her a heads up about this but she's ignored me.

I was wondering if I am liable?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X