• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Damaged Sewage Drain Caused by Gas Mains - Advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged Sewage Drain Caused by Gas Mains - Advice?

Hello All,

Hoping someone can me some advice on an ongoing issue we are facing. We purchased our first home last November and one issue that was raised by the mortgage surveyor was a likely issue with the drains. Subsequently a retention was placed on our mortgage pending the drains being replaced. We had a drain survey done and were advised that the clay drainage piping had collapsed and will need to be replaced with new PVC piping. We were quoted over 6 thousand pounds for the job, digging up our entire driveway and refilling (not matching the style). After deliberating over the Christmas period I decided to hire some labourers to dig up the driveway ourselves to save some money on the labour side and assess the situation.
    They had dug up around 70% of the driveway and followed the pipe when they found the collapsed drain issue, a mains gas pipe has been bored straight through the top of our sewage pipe. Upon finding this issue I tried to contact the company responsible, and through our energy company, found that Southern Gas Network (SGN) were responsible. After calling them and explaining the situation I had to wait three days to receive a callback (rang everyday and each time was promised the area manager would ring back shortly). I was told that an engineer would come round to conduct a survey of the issue and pass the results onto the management team. He was very helpful and rang me to explain that my thoughts were correct and that a gas pipe had been bored through our sewage drain through a lack of surveying. He explained that he would discuss with the area manager and I should expect a call back the next day as I wanted to know what the process would be & the claims procedure before agreeing to any work.
    5 days later and 4 phone calls to the customer service team and I finally received a call from the area manager, who quite frankly was very unhelpful and quite dismissive of the issue. He mentioned this happens regularly and they only survey for electrical wiring. He said they would come out to replace only the specific part of the pipe that was damaged and they wouldn't consider any compensation claims for this. Frankly, this seems unacceptable, this is an old clay pipe which a drainage company has recommended needs to be fully replaced due to multiple cracks and the collapsed section, it is likely all this damage has been caused when they bored through the pipe, how can a section repair to this pipe be considered a full repair? Secondly, I have had to dig up my entire driveway, which was quoted at thousands of pounds, not to mention we will need to resurface the driveway & the inconvenience this has all caused. I don't consider the area manager's response acceptable.
    I ended the call asking him to send me an email with his comments so that I can consider my next steps. This was over a week ago and I am yet to receive any response from him. Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated. What should I include in my email to the company? Am I justified in my thoughts on the damage they have caused?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

You may have a claim against SGN.

Check whether you have legal expenses insurance cover with a home or motoring policy.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X