• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ombudsman Services verdict favouring me, still utility harassing me!!! what to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ombudsman Services verdict favouring me, still utility harassing me!!! what to do?

I was wrongly chased by a utility company & I complained to Ombudsman Services which upheld my complaint and asked utility provider to remove my contacts and asked never contact me. 6 months after this they are still doing it and restarted harassment using debt collectors. What legal steps I can take..?

1. I never been customer of this company
    2. Still they are sending letters addressed as Owner/Occupier
    3. Ombudsman verdict clearly stated I am not responsible and I should be never contacted again by this utility company or debt collector
    4. Ombudsman verdict is violated

I never thought Ombudsman is such a toothless tiger and can't enforce their verdicts. What are my options..? Please help

1. How can I sue utility company for the harassment they did to me my email post sms and calls..?
    2. How can I sue the debt collector for visiting my property despite Ombudsman Service verdict..?
    3. Will there be any lawyer to take my case on no-win no fee basis or to take % compensation..?

Please help when I had this visit by debt collector today, Police refused to intervene though I was completely right.
    Tags: None

Hi Boby

a) They are breaching Data Protection Principles having incorrect data on their systems and harassment.

Send them the following template, make sure you get Proof of Postage:

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters...ata-corrected/

b) Lodge another complaint with the Services Ombudsman, your complaint is that they have -

a) 'incorrect data' on their systems and (Data Protection Act 2018)

b) also you are being harassed for money you do not own (Protection of Harassment Act 1997)

c) Complain to the ICO if the Utility company don't remove the data.

https://www.5rb.com/case/ferguson-v-...s-trading-ltd/

Comment

I don't think the Ombudsman has the power to get involved in data protection disputes. We've just had a decision published by FOS where, amongst other things, we complained about a CMC misusing a woman's deceased husband's data they shouldn't have had, despite the Ombudsman agreeing that neither were customers.

We've now taken it up with the regulator.

Decision Reference DRN-3244973 (financial-ombudsman.org.uk)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Miss F.JPG Views:	1 Size:	56.4 KB ID:	1607687

The OP needs to make a Right to Erasure request but I suspect that might not stop letters being sent to the 'owner' or 'occupier' but worth a try Your right to get your data deleted | ICO

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
        I don't think the Ombudsman has the power to get involved in data protection disputes. We've just had a decision published by FOS where, amongst other things, we complained about a CMC misusing a woman's deceased husband's data they shouldn't have had, despite the Ombudsman agreeing that neither were customers.

Click image for larger version Name:	Miss F.JPG Views:	1 Size:	56.4 KB ID:	1607687

The OP needs to make a Right to Erasure request but I suspect that might not stop letters being sent to the 'owner' or 'occupier' but worth a try Your right to get your data deleted | ICO
        Agree, I don't want the Services Ombudsman to get involved as such, but they can award compensation because of the conduct of the utility company, distress etc. The template / ICO should be sufficient to stop the letters / harassment.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Agree, I don't want the Services Ombudsman to get involved as such, but they can award compensation because of the conduct of the utility company, distress etc. The template / ICO should be sufficient to stop the letters / harassment.

Thanks for this. I realise Ombudsman don't even have powers to enforce their verdict, its still in the mercy of Utility company. Toothless Tiger!!

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	Miss F.JPG Views:	1 Size:	56.4 KB ID:	1607687

But this is more than DP, I had 3 vehicle debt collectors even with Pick-up vehicle outside my gate asking for access to my property. Luckily I am protected by gate.

Removing data ..on paper its still addressed as Owner/Occupier.

Comment

Why don't you name the Utility Company?

Comment

Hi Boby

a) They are breaching Data Protection Principles having incorrect data on their systems and harassment.

Send them the following template, make sure you get Proof of Postage:

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters...ata-corrected/

b) Lodge another complaint with the Services Ombudsman, your complaint is that they have -

a) 'incorrect data' on their systems and (Data Protection Act 2018)

b) also you are being harassed for money you do not own (Protection of Harassment Act 1997)

c) Complain to the ICO if the Utility company don't remove the data.

https://www.5rb.com/case/ferguson-v-...s-trading-ltd/
                a) still all letters are addressed to Owner/Occupier so not sure what DP can do here
                b) Ombudsman will not accept another complaint as - "Section 7.2 (a) states that Ombudsman Services shall not accept a new Complaint in which the subject matter and the parties are the same, or substantially the same, like those addressed in another Complaint that the Ombudsman has already reached a decision or conclusion in. As Ombudsman Services does not investigate the same complaint twice, we cannot consider your new complaint.
                "

for all other points all letters now addressed as Owner/Occupier though they are outside my gate with pick-up truck yesterday!!

Comment

Why don't you name the Utility Company?
                  Its SCOTTISH POWER

As you can see below, its not an isolated case. They got their database screwed up and random letters are their way!

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...bills-bailiffs

Comment

Since its SCOTTISH POWER extra trouble is its HQ is in Scotland not England

Comment

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such, explain what's happened, why it's caused you a lot of distress and what you want them to do about it., i.e.remove your details from their database / compensation for the harassment (quote the Protection from Harassment Act 1997) / distress. Tell them if they don't do that you will consider taking legal action and lodge a formal complaint with the Information Commissioners Office (quote Data Protection Act 2018).

Email it to:

Keith Anderson
                      Chief Executive Officer
                      keith.anderson@scottishpower.com

Comment

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such, explain what's happened, why it's caused you a lot of distress and what you want them to do about it., i.e.remove your details from their database / compensation for the harassment (quote the Protection from Harassment Act 1997) / distress. Tell them if they don't do that you will consider taking legal action and lodge a formal complaint with the Information Commissioners Office (quote Data Protection Act 2018).

Email it to:

Keith Anderson
                        Chief Executive Officer
                        keith.anderson@scottishpower.com
                        I thought about this ..but that could be seen as me harassing the CEO. Also I don't need his sympathy or favour. I am in right side 100% so law should protect me!

Comment

Originally posted by boby View Post

I thought about this ..but that could be seen as me harassing the CEO. Also I don't need his sympathy or favour. I am in right side 100% so law should protect me!
                          How can it be seen as harassing the CEO?

Your email complaint goes to his Executive Team who will deal with the complaint.

It depends what you want to achieve and how quickly you want to achieve it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Comment

BOBY people I know are in the same boat with Ombudsman, they ruled in their favour but the energy supplier eon didn't implement the resolution and it looks like they can get away with that. From what I've found online if the person making the complaint accepts the resolution then its binding for the other party to implement it. But that isn't happening and no further advice anywhere that I can find to what the next steps would be.

ECHAT11 would love those complaint contact addresses but for eon-next which I have created a thread for similar situation to this one.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X