• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

EDF Energy! Help...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDF Energy! Help...

Hello..

I have had my home electricity account since 2003 with EDF Energy for the first couple of years everything fine, then there was an issue with a transformer outside the property and due to a fault 415V was directed into my home blowing everything within the house, all appliances, light bulbs etc it even blew the 100A external fuse and electricity meter.

Now to be fair EDF and Western Power where very good they sent someone out the same evening, replaced the electricity meter and 100A fuse and checked the wiring etc and had everything completed by around 3am..

However from that day forth my electricity costs have rocketed month on month, I have been in constant communication with EDF who advised the following, check no one is steeling my electricity, check all appliances etc etc.. all was fine but again the monthly costs went up, EDF then advised to get an independent electrician in to check everything to see where the high usage was, I completed this and no issues where found.

Since this all first started I have now run out of options in where I can save money within the home I have completed the following..

Electrical Checks
    Appliance Checks (All A+++)
    New Insulation
    Changed all Light Bulbs to LED
    Changed the cooker from electricity to LPG
    Changed the heating system from Electricity to Oil
    Changed the hot water tank from Electricity to Oil
    I now even unplug everything at night

Yet my usage has still gone up..? my monthly DD is now £558+ this is triple the monthly costs from 2003, EDF have advised there is nothing they can do and I must look at savings within the home, which I feel I have exhausted.

I have point blank asked EDF if its possible I am being billed for someone else's electricity which they say is impossible, however I receive regular letters and correspondents from EDF for different customers at my address? Again EDF say that's impossible?

So far I have had correspondence from EDF with these names under my address..?

Ms M A
    Mrs S R
    Mr A V
    Mr D K
    Mrs R S

Now if customers of EDF are being sent letters under my address is it possible I am being charges for some if not all there utility costs with EDF Energy?
    Last edited by BiloBoss; 30th December 2021, 17:46:PM.
    Tags: None

Can you please edit the names. I.E. Ms M A.

The first thing to do is send a SAR request. Make sure you get Proof of Postage

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Also which EDF tariff are you on? Is it their 'variable' Tariff.

£500 per month is the energy usage for 2 / 3 houses.

What type of premises do you reside in?

Comment

Thank you for your help,

Will sort the SAR asap..

I am on a "Easy Online 2 Year Fixed Tariff"

No £500+ per month is for one house only

Its 3 bed, one bathroom house.. newly built 2003

Comment

Originally posted by BiloBoss View Post
        Thank you for your help,

Will sort the SAR asap..

I am on a "Easy Online 2 Year Fixed Tariff"

No £500+ per month is for one house only

Its 3 bed, one bathroom house.. newly built 2003
        I was trying to point out that £500+ would be the bill for between 2 / 3 houses, not one house.

Don't worry, well see if we can get to the bottom of this, energy companies make more money when they make mistakes.

Comment

What sort of meter do you have? Is it a smart meter?

Is there a common denominator on the paperwork? i.e. Are there any numbers on the letters which correspond like the MPAN number etc (13 digit number).

Comment

Sorry for the miss communication :-)

This is the silly thing I have a smart meter but when installed by EDF the engineer said "I don't know why I am fitting it? your WiFi/Internet here is to poor for it to work? so the internal unit never plugged in

None of the letters have any MPAN numbers (13 digit numbers) all that corresponds is the billing address?

However a couple have addresses on the letters that are not the billing address if that makes sense,

However one thing I have just noted is that when I call EDF they always refer to my bills as duel fuel (Electricity & Gas) and I always have to point out that I only have electricity as no mains gas withing 20 miles...?

The letters (not in my name) however using my address refer to duel fuel (Gas & Electricity) at addresses all over the South West? and mainly refer to bill date changes or payment date changes..?

I hope this helps..

Comment

I should have mentioned at the start I was not the only house effected by the faulty transformer and after speaking with a neighbour they said that it turned out that when there meter was replaced it was not new and still had units on from a previous account?

They complained to EDF who agreed and said the meter should have been zeroed when installed but was not, EDF reduced there bill by £1,350.00

I have gone to EDF with the same query but they have informed me the meter was correct when installed?

Not sure if this helps or just confuses the matter.. sorry.

Comment

Do the figures on the bill match those on the meter?
                Have you kept a record of your own meter readings?
                Have you tried testing the meter yourself?

Comment

Clearly the issue is the gas element if they are billing you for Duel Fuel, all the names / letters are all linked.

The average electric bill for according to Ofgem's December 2020 stats for a 3 bedroom house in the UK is:
                  • £51.44 /Month
                  • £617.29 /Year

However, this figure is approximate and depends on the following:
                  • The region your 3 bedroom house is located in.
                  • Whether you are on a standard variable, fixed, dual fuel, online energy, green energy, or pre-payment, Pay as you go tariff.
                  • The fuel sources your energy provider uses (Fossil fuels, Nuclear, Renewable energy, Imports).
                  • Consuming electricity as your primary source of heating.
                  • Using high-power-consuming electrical instruments.
                  • Poor electricity saving practices.
                  • Market fluctuations in the energy sector.

Comment

So there is no physical gas meter at your address, only electricity meter.

These letters you received for the following people, can you put dates next to the names:

Ms M A
                    Mrs S R
                    Mr A V
                    Mr D K
                    Mrs R S

I know we are asking for a lot of information all at once, but it will help narrow the issue.

Comment

However, this figure is approximate and depends on the following:
                      • The region your 3 bedroom house is located in. (North Devon)
                      • Whether you are on a standard variable, fixed, dual fuel, online energy, green energy, or pre-payment, Pay as you go tariff. (Fixed)
                      Yes.. latest letters recieved

Ms MA - 22/12/2021
                      Ms SR - 22/12/2021
                      Mr AV - 22/12/2021
                      Mr DK - 22/12/2021
                      Mrs RS - 22/12/2021

Comment

So you receive regular letters all with the same date. There is no gas meter (tucked away on the premises), EDF go on about a duel fuel account when you contact them, you have to correct them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X