• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

business help with Gas supplier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• business help with Gas supplier

Hi, I'd appreciate some advice about a developing case with an energy supplier. It's a little involved (as I bet they always are) so hopefully won't put you off having to read it all

We moved into a shop a few years ago. Previously, the building had been a single enterprise; a developer split it into smaller units. Our shop has the gas and electricity meters for the ground floor shops. The landlord promised to split the electricity supply for us and next door (didn't) and get the gas supply disconnected (there is no boiler or heating system attached) but went bankrupt and the building was repossessed by his mortgage company. The property was eventually taken over by one of the directors of the mortgage company, but we have been getting red letter invoices in the mortgage company's name ever since. We have been "returning to sender" assuming it was a historical debt.

In September we received a "welcome to your energy supplier" letter and in October an invoice issued to "the occupier" arrived.
    The invoice states estimated usage of zero but standing charges for what appears to be 269 days @ 98p per day (it's hard to work out as the bill doesn't clearly state a date period and the s/c charges are in 2 separate sections)

We thought the meter and supply were dead and had been deactivated when the radiators/boiler were disconnected, so I contacted the company to cancel the outstanding debt.

They have advised me there would be an approx £150 charge to remove the meter and the standing charges need settling, although they agreed they knew there had been no gas usage. Our current landlord is willing to shoulder the fee but doesn't want to pay the standing charges (we'd pay and deduct from the rent paid to him)

I'm in the process of clarifying with them what period is covered by the standing charges but they have already advised that ignorance of gas supply is no basis to have the s/c waived.

My question is do I have any defence against the standing charge fees approx £280 so far? Surely if it includes a period before they started writing to "the occupier" we shouldn't be liable? Or can they backdate charges? I'm not sure if we are being double-charged for a period where they're (unsuccessfully) trying to recover payment from the mortgage company (no longer in existence)
    Logically I would have thought a couple of month's worth of standing charges would be sensible (from first contact in September until confirmed disconnection of supply) roughly £60 at most. They did offer a £40 goodwill gesture on the outstanding s/c amount.

Appreciate if you've read this far and can assist with this
    Tags: None

It seems you are being deemed a customer and so being charged the SC.

Now if you were a domestic user the charge would probably dropped as soon as the supplier became aware of zero use, and some (I think) even remove the meter for free.

As a commercial user, you need to scrutinise the company's contract (probably available on line) to see what there policy is towards customers.

You could also contact OFGEM for advice

Comment

Hi Matt

Follow their complaints procedure (state your position, offer of £60 etc), if you're still not happy (you are only prepared to pay £60) then providing you've got a final response / deadlock letter, then you can take the matter to the Services Ombudsman. The energy company pays the Services Ombudsman quite a bit of money to look into the case. So it might be prudent for the energy company to settle for the £60 you are offering. That's what you need to point out to the energy company.

Some info - https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information...-billing-rules

Ombudsman - https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X