• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BT

My flat mate recently changed our broadband from plusnet to bt due to some minor payment issues with plusnet. We are currently 7 weeks into our broadband contract with bt and have complained consistently about our broadband speed being below what it should be. I have posted my questions on the bt forum and they are not willing to release me from my contract. I have read other similar issues with bt broadband reviews on faster broadband and they state that if bt cannot fix my fault we can leave without paying the rest of the contract. Do you know who I have to report this to, is there a trading standards body that control bt? Thanks
    Tags: None

Hi Teddystella get them to test both the phone line and broadband and tell you what the speed is testing at.If lower than garaunteed speed they are allowed* a chance to fix it usually two engineers to verify what speed line can give.If it is WiFi issue it probably is not garaunteed so go into you router manager Channel scan check if your devices want smart set off* try different modes etc usual WiFi checks that help and of course router location is key. No company will simply let you leave I am afraid and if it is a hardwired speed lower than garaunteed speed they may need to speak to account holder to book engineer etc* if WiFi issue you have no rights unless which is* highly doubtfull you have* a garunteed WiFi speed* which will be lower than the garaunteed hardwired speed.Hope this helps.

Comment

You should be able to log in to the router (details on base) and check the speed of connection.* Router address is usually 192.168.1.x where x varies to 0, 1 or 254.* Type this into the address bar in your browser.

Comment

They have checked the line and said it does not show any faults. They have already sent an Openreach person last week who could not confirm a fault and at the very time he was at the flat our speed was 1mb over the minimum which I guess he reported back to bt. But it consistently falls below this speed. Can I report my problem to someone other than bt as bt do not want to listen anymore. I am concerned that if I cancel my contract they will send me a bill for the remaining 16 months. Which is what they have told me on the bt chat. I was told to report them to Ofcom but from what I have read here they just log the issue and don't do anything to help individual cases.*
        How to complain if you experience a fault with your broadband, landline or mobile phone.

Comment

Hi Teddystella is it WiFi dropping? If so you need to check your router WiFi settingse as I suggested.Your WiFi will not be garaunteed. if it is hardwired check if drops happen at certain times a pattern eg* known as rein or shine do your own checks in test socket and get another engineer and escalate your complaint.I am sorry but I must stress if WiFi there is no point in doing all that only hardwired. Good luck and cool name.

Comment

We use wifi but our flat is only small and the engineer did a wired test. bt said they can see the speed when they connect to the bt box. I just don't know who to complain to, bt are not interested. As it's occasionally above our minimum guaranteed broadband speed.

Comment

As I said look at what they can see in the router and keep a log, plot a graph.

Comment

Will do, I guess that way I have date evidence of the drops.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X