• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Electricity - Not been billed in 20 years.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electricity - Not been billed in 20 years.

Hi all, I appreciate that when any story usually starts with “ my friend” it’s usually about them. However, I’m genuinely asking for some advice for a friend who has become too nervous to think about her issue.
    When my friend moved into her house over 20 years ago the parting comment by the previous owner was “ oh, and we’ve never had an electricity bill” and my friend hasn’t had one since. Initially she went through the processes of contacting the electric board/companies but she just seemed to go round in circle. As time when passed she just got used to it and in “ my opinion” took a bit of an well if they can’t be bothered attitude.
    We have spoken several times over the last few years and I have said at some point they will come knocking on your door. She knows it’s wrong but is now so scared to contact anyone because of any repercussions.
    At this point what’s the best thing for her to do? Where does she stand legally? I feel that she should pay what she owes but 20 years worth is going to be painful. Yes, she shouldn’t have let it go this long but she did try to contact them initially. She has spoken about selling her house but that’s not an option until she sorts this out.
    i would appreciate your thoughts guys.
    thanks
    Tags: None

Hi,

Does your friend live in a rural location?
    Does your friend live near any industrial business?
    The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Hi, thank you for your response.She doesn’t live in a rural location nor does she live near industrial businesses. Nothing of large scale anyway.

Comment

This may be of some assitance

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...-bill-20-years
        The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X