• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Utility debts - separation

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Utility debts - separation

    What is the case if you are married and separate.

    The utilities are in one spouses name only. Is the remaining spouse (left in the property - rented) responsible for paying and clearing the utility debt even though their name is not on the utility contract?

    Tags: None

  • #2
    You need to transfer the bill to the name of the spouse who is still living there as soon as.

    Your options would be to request half the money from the other spouse and pay it off, if non compliance I would pay it off and if its a substantial amount take to small claims court to recover the amount owed.
    The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.


    • #3
      All you need to do is inform the utility company who is responsible for the bill.
      Ask them to move the leaving partner out of the property and give the remaining partner's name as the Occupant, or let them send out an Occupier letter.

      Please note, this will not be the same for a phone bill for some reason, they need to speak to the people moving in!
      PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

      "If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)


      View our Terms and Conditions

      LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

      If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

      If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.




      Utilities - Gas, Electricity, Water suppliers
      See more
      See less

      Court Claim ?

      Guides and Letters

      Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

      Find a Law Firm