• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Water bill not paid in ten years. Advice needed.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Water bill not paid in ten years. Advice needed.

    Hi, I have a water bill for £3500.Which is over ten years of usage. They have not sent any final warnongs or escaIated to a DCA. I was living with an ex whom I thought was paying the bill. I have had finicial problems in the past but now more credit file is clear of all defaults and ccj's and I do not want to go back to that situation and therefore just want to settle and then argue the point with the ex later. I havent made contact with the water company yet and want to be prepared when I do. The bill is in a joint name. I am also moving soon and don't want this following me.

    I found this on the Ofwat website.

    "Bad debts in the water sector cost everyone money and companies will make every effort to ensure that bills are paid. This means that even if you have not had a water bill for some time you will still owe the water company money for the services you have received. Companies can ask you up to six years of unpaid water and sewerage charges. However, this will depend on the circumstances of your case. Your company should also offer you a reasonable repayment plan to allow you to spread repayments."

    My question is if I call them and offer to pay for the last 6 years do they have to consider the debt settled? I worked out that should be about £1600.

    Are there any letters or terms I can quote?

    Many thanks.

    Tags: None

  • #2

    Im no expert, but debts over 6 years old (apart from the exceptions ie mortgage debts etc)- Creditors can still chase but cannot enforce via the court.

    Best bet would be to get SW to confirm any agreement (outside of the 6 year limitation) in writing to ensure you do not get chased later.

    Keep a paper trail:-)


    View our Terms and Conditions

    LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

    If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

    If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.




    Utilities - Gas, Electricity, Water suppliers
    See more
    See less

    Court Claim ?

    Guides and Letters

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm