• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mothers Will leaves everything to one Sibling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mothers Will leaves everything to one Sibling

Hi,

I have a question regarding my late mothers Will. She has recently passed away and appears to have left everything to my sister. We are not a 'well off' family we have no assets, mum didnt own her own home, but she would have had some savings albeit not much. However, she has four children, all in our 50s yet her Will states everything is to be left to one sister. My sister is adamant that we are not entitled to anything as its all been left to her. We have see a copy of the Will and her wishes are that everything is left to one sister, who is also the executor

I thought that in Scotland it was not possible to exclude 'children' in this way, and while a quarter share of her estate would be nothing to speak off, I do feel that in principle its wrong to exclude myself and my other 2 siblings.

Is there anything we can do?
    Tags: None

All the children have entitlement to legal rights (legitim). If no surviving spouse or civil partner, then legitim is ½ of the net moveable estate. So the three children not mentioned in the will are entitled each to ⅛ of the net moveable estate (assuming that there are no children predeceased).

If there is a solicitor involved, then this will be picked up and dealt with.

If no solicitor then more problematic. If the executor cannot be convinced then would require court action against the executor, which might make no sense financially.

Comment

Thank you sederunt

There is no solicitor involved I'm afraid, and as you say it would probably make no financial sense to raise a court action as we don't have much. However, knowing that we have rights might make our sister consider sharing what she has been left as its really only money from my latepthers bank account as there are no assets.

thank you

Comment

Apologies Sederunt, can I ask another question please.

As i dont know how much would have been in my late mothers bank accounts am i legally entitled to ask the executor (my sister) to provide details of how much money was/is in my late mothers bank accounts? I feel myself, and my other 2 siblings should be able to know this detail as we may want to consider court action, however I am not sure if we can ask the executor to provide this information.

Can we ask for this information?

Comment

Legal rights are allowed against the net estate so bank account details on their own will not be an indication. Expenses and liabilities would have to be considered.

I cannot see any negative to informally asking what the estate value is.

Comment

Thanks Sederunt,

my mother had paid for her funeral in advance so i think the only expenses due would have been any rent and council tax due to the local authority, and any electricity due after the final reading.

I will ask my sister what the net value of the estate is and see if she provides any details.

thanks again for you help it is very much appreciated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X