• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance when father remarries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance when father remarries

My father married a Scottish woman and had children with her.

When he passes, am I entitled to anything?

Some the assets are in his wife's names.

Thanks in advance.

Tags: None

Who can say - if he is still alive there are future uncertainties.

You might die before him

His domicile may change

He might spend any savings before he dies

He might leave a will or might not

Care costs could consume the estate

He might die insolvent

Comment

I'm not asking folk to predict the future.

Let's assume he has passed away.

He has assets in his name.

Comment

Has he passed away? Answers on here will depend on this

Comment

Yes, he has passed away.

Comment

Help will be along no doubt

Comment

I guess I overestimated the intellectual abilities of people in this forum.

Comment

Sincere condolences at this difficult time, I am sure that in time you will find pleasure in many happy memories.

Have you seen your late father's will? What is the position? Were you in any way dependent on your late father or maintained by him?
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

If father was domiciled in Scotland, then children have legal rights (legitim) which will entitle them to a share of his net moveable estate, regardless of what a will (if any) may say. But it does depend on the size of the estate.

Legitim does not apply to heritable property.

Comment

HI, thanks for your answers.

I haven't seen the will yet.

Father was domiciled in Scotland along with his second wife and kids from that marriage.

I am domiciled abroad and not a UK citizen.

Kids are all over 25 years old.

I haven't heard from his second wife yet about a will.

I think It's best if I connect and get some advice from a lawyer there - should I wait to see the will?

Comment

I found this resource - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/content...tland-2020.jpg

As I am a half sibling and there are 'full' siblings then I'm not entitled to anything, which is OK. Unless there's anything specified in the will.

Comment

Originally posted by lawmills71 View Post
                        I found this resource - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/content...tland-2020.jpg

As I am a half sibling and there are 'full' siblings then I'm not entitled to anything, which is OK. Unless there's anything specified in the will.
                        This is incorrect. If your father has died you have the same legitim entitlement as the children by his remarriage. You will see however from the chart that if intestate, prior rights entitlement of the spouse can sometimes use up the availble net moveable estate.

Executors don't always deal with legitim entitlement correctly. If a solicitor is dealing with the estate, then it will likely be dealt with correctly, providing that the solicitor has been given accurate family information.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X