• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

sold a car privately with no MOT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sold a car privately with no MOT

Hi,
    I sold a car privately with no MOT on it and it hadn't been used for a year.
    I advertised it honestly stating it had no mot and starts runs and drives.
    A person contacted me to buy it, we negotiated a price incase it needed any work done on MOT, they done no viewing of the car prior to collection.
    They arrived to collect the car and noted a few things which needed done and we negotiated a little more off the price...and they drove it away over 80 miles.
    They then put it in for an MOT and it had 1 dangerous which was noted by the buyer and a few of the majors were also noted.
    I'm now at case discussion stage with simple procedure which seems to be rather 'one sided'.
    I made no guarantee it would pass an mot yet got this claim against me.
    Also prior to case discussion the sheriff's order suggested we contact each other,...I contacted claimant and no response.
    The claimant admitted in court when asked by sheriff if they made a mistake buying it, they said yes.... but if it had passed the MOT it would've been a 'good buy'.
    Advice appreciated.
    Cheers
    Tags: None

As you are in Scotland I'm tagging ScottishSolicitor and sederunt

Scottish procedures differ from England & Wales, but you might find some pointers in this thread (https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...-used-car-sale) where the poster is in a similar position

Comment

From what has been stated it sounds as if there has been full disclosure and a good defence. It wont help the claimant that he has not responded to your attempt to discuss

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X