• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consent to move a gas meter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consent to move a gas meter

I live in a lower cottage flat. I've obtained planning permission and a building warrant to the side of my property. Before the work can start I need to move my neighbour's gas meter which is situated underneath my bathroom window. She did not lodge an objection when the planning application went through.

I contacted her at the beginning of May to advise I had contacted SGN regarding her meter and gave her 6 weeks to respond. I didn't receive a response so I proceeded with contacting SGN to arrange for a quote to have the meter moved. I posted the quote and a consent form through her door and she has been dragging her feet since. First, she said she wanted me to provide a written guarantee that I would rectify any damage to her property. A family friend who is a lawyer advised I should not agree to this as it would be covered by the liability insurance of SGN and the gas engineer who will reconnect her supply.

Second, she's now requested "detailed drawings" of the work. I've provided her with a sketch of the proposed new route for the pipe which will have to go over her bathroom window and enter the top end of her hall cupboard. I think her request for a more detailed drawing for re-routing a gas pipe is unreasonable and unnecessary for such a straightforward job. I therefore contacted Citizen's Advice today who advised that I had taken reasonable steps to keep her informed of the plans and I've offered to pay for the work. He suggested that I could lodge it as a civil action at the local Sheriff Court.

I'm looking for advice on next steps. Do I contact her and say her request is unreasonable and advise that I will lodge a civil case if she refuses to consent or do I provide her with the drawings? Both are going to delay the process and will potentially lead to me losing a slot with my builder.

As an aside, she requested I cut down a tree which was affecting her satellite signal which I agreed to and paid for myself. Would it be appropriate to refer to me being compliant with her request in my correspondence or should I just leave that out?
    Tags: None

Scots law - disclaimer - it differs unpredictably from English law.
    Planning consent has no significance as between you and your neighbour.
    This is something you want, and she has no benefit from, and no obligation to consent to. Do what she asks. Do not allow this to develop into a dispute.

Comment

Neighbour appears to be selling her flat. Would appreciate any advice to make her comply with my request so that I don't need to wait until it's sold and have to wait for new owner to grant permission.

Comment

Again, I can see no duty on her to agree.

Comment

any potential buyer will almost certainly get to know about this. They may not agree either. Do as she asks would be my advice.

Comment

I concur with the above; trying to put it through the Sheriff Court will be a lengthy (and likely reasonably costly) affair for something that could be nipped in the bud now. No guarantee that will work, of course, but if you show compliance now, it will look much more favourable should it ever wind up in the local SC.
            ----- DISCLAIMER -----

I am a former trainee Sheriff Officer who became disillusioned with the Scottish legal system so left the industry. I will offer insights from my first-hand experience, but *I am not a legal professional and you should always seek independent legal advice before acting on anything I say*.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X